I've applied for a job with a take home pay of £1,300. Would I still get help with my rent? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've applied for a job with a take home pay of £1,300. Would I still get help with my rent?

Lisatho11987777
Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
edited February 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I have applied for a job that gives me 1,300.00 after tax and national insurance I am on universal credit and i am on limited capability  to work 

The job I may get after interview is office work which I can do with my disability I also get pip which isn't going to be affected by mw working 

I know your allowed to earn  so much on universal credit with the figure I have quoted above after takeing  off what I am allowed to earn would I still get help help towards my rent 
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    You can't separate out the different bits of UC. Your standard allowance, the LCWRA element and the housing element added together give your maximum UC entitlement. That will remain unchanged.
    Any deductions are then applied to the whole award.
    If you take home £1300/month the earnings deduction will be (£1300-292) x 63% = £635.04. That is how much your UC will reduce by. 
    (Note - you say you are on Limited capability for Work, I have taken that as Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity. If that isn't correct then the LCWRA does not apply.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    The total amount of uc I get for everything is 1,250  thats  yes your correct with the limited capability for work 

So I need to take off the figure you gave me above off the total amount of uc I get and that will leave the total left I will still get?? 

Thank you I will work it out now 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Sorry that's  suposed to be 2,001 so I take of 635.00 off that amount  and that's how much I am left with on universal credit??
  • Lisatho11987777
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    Your maximum UC is £2,001. Your take home pay is £1,300 resulting in a deduction of £635 so the UC payable is now £1366.
    Your total monthly income (UC plus earnings) is now £2,666 so you are better of by £665/month.

To calculate the deduction for any level of earnings take the earnings figure, deduct the Work Allowance of £292, multiple the result by 63%. The result is the deduction.

Or use a benefits calculator Benefits calculators - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @lisathomas50. As Calcotti said, the deduction for earnings would be around £635. If your UC is currently £1001 before deductions, if you were earning £1300 a month, you should still receive £366 from UC.

Best of luck for the job. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • calcotti
    Thanks Adrian. Lisa’s last post and mine must have been at the same time and I didn’t spot her correction (although I should have registered that £2,001 for a UC entitlement was unlikely!)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I figured that was probably the case @calcotti. :) Thanks for all your help.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lisatho11987777
    Thank you both for your help I will stay in that sort of range if I don't get this job 

To come off uc altogether and still be better off I would need to earn 26,000.00  or more a year so I think I am better off staying at the range I am aiming for in the job I have applied for 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.