Hi, been turned down on mobility allowance and now looking to go to tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, been turned down on mobility allowance and now looking to go to tribunal

LeighWinkless
LeighWinkless Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited February 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hyper-mobility syndrome- been turned down on mobility allowance and now looking to go to tribunal but very worried.  

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome 

Dont be worried about tribunal there are lots of members who have been through it and been successful 

Have a look in our PIP section and we are here to offer support and answer any questions you may have 
  • LeighWinkless
    Thank you Janer1967 for replying to my post. Just worried i haven't got the right evidence and wouldn’t stand a chance of winning. 
  • janer1967
    I appealed my work capability and won and I hardly had any evidence just me 

It isnt about evidence you are your own best evidence . Just make sure you prepare 

Give examples of what happens each time you try and do a task . Go through the descriptors you think you should score more points one by one 

Tell them how you can or can't do them if you cant do them why cant you.  Do you need aids or support , can you do them safely , reliably  repeatedly 
    Have there been any consequences of trying to do a task 

Go through the bundle and prepare counter argument to the reasoning why you haven't been awarded 
  • LeighWinkless
    Its for my 7 year old son. So his walking has got worst. He cant walk longer than 4mins without serve discomfort he now has access to a wheelchair but thats very new. They turned him down due to him playing football and PE. Which he cant keep up with the other children has to rest all the time get  fatigue Quickly. Falls over all the time. Also turned him down saying no hospital admission due to falls
  • LeighWinkless
    Low mobility states he is mentally aware etc which he is. But looking into things. He struggles with distance, speed. Length of time in walking. And server discomfort and then we have to carry him. So looking into things looks like he fits the bill for high mobility but i just don’t know. 
  • LeighWinkless
    And well done on winning
  • janer1967
    Ok 

I'm not as familiar with DLA as PIP 

All you can do is say it how it is for him and the after affects of the walking.  I'm not too sure of the criteria and scoring for DLA mobility but there will be some info in the dla section or parents and carers 

Have you got a date yet for the tribunal? 

You could also get some advice from welfare rights 
  • LeighWinkless
    No date yet. Wonder how long it will take. But your advice has helped
  • janer1967
    They seem to be getting through them a lot quicker than usual as they are phone tribunals but it all depends on the situation at the court you are assigned 

Let us know how you get on 
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,608 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I just wanted to wish you well with the appeal. Iv went through 2 and won both this was for pip. Good luck and take care.?
  • LeighWinkless
    Lou67 thank you for your response. Very scary doing this but i will fight as got to for my child 
  • Lou67
    Aw bless you, I’m sure you’ll do great for your son. As all mums do. 
  • Lou67
    Sorry I ment to say, I waited 5 months for my last one in November which was really quick. My first appeal took nearly 18 months pre covid. So it’s definitely quicker by telephone. 
  • LeighWinkless
    Thank you for your response mikehughescq. He can walk for up to 4mins at a slow pace is behind on all his classmates. For his age and OT put that in in report. He then then then get very fatigue quickly then stops and then can no longer walk due to the serve discomfort. And then has to be carried. The more fatigue he gets the more he then falls and accidents accur
  • LeighWinkless
    The discomfort happens after about 4 mins of walking. He now has a wheelchair to help him get around outside but this is very new 
  • LeighWinkless
    Think this is my issue explaining it properly my son has gone from a healthy young boy. To a boy that can now barely walk and wheelchair bound. They explained in there decision that they have excepted  that he has a mobility issues. So i dont really know

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.