ESA contribution based - support group access? medical? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA contribution based - support group access? medical?

Options
wagthedog13
wagthedog13 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi
I am claiming new style ESA contribution based since Nov 20.  I am submitting med certs and claiming as my SSP ended.  I am still employed and being medically retIred.  I have completed the medical questionnaire but heard nothing back.  I am also in receipt of PIP and was advised in writing that any review was extended until Dec 21 due to covid however, last week i received a PIP review form.  (I am not sure if this is connected to the ESA medical, as I did read they were trying to combine medicals to prevent duplication of work).  Today i have received a letter stating my ESA is being paid at the rate of £74.70 until Nov 21 as it is only paid for 365 days.  I have heard nothing about the medical, no longer needing to send in medical certificates or the possibility of being put into the support group.  I understand the first 13 weeks should be the assessment period which i have now served but with no information except the letter today.  Am I to expect a review letter following the 13 week assessment period and a medical?  My PIP review is due by the end of Feb.
Any help very gratefully received.  Thanks!

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there pip and esa are separate assessments 

If you are not assessed for esa and put into a support group your esa will stop but as it is till nov you have plenty of time for your assessment . I would try and chase up with them about this 

Lots of people have PIP extended but they can still assess you even tho you have an extension so you need to complete the review form 

There has been talk of combining the 2 assessments but this is just talk they are still seperate currently and have different criteria 

So you need to expect 2 assessments 

Hope this helps 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Although the PIP end dates have bee extended this is an exercise to protect claimants from having their award end before DWP have managed to catch up.

The PIP renewal is not related to the ESA. There was a proposal to try and combine the assessments but (for the moment at least) that appears to have gone away.

If you have already returned the ESA50 you can do little other than wait to be contacted for an assessment and hope that they get around to it before November. There is a significant backlog at present. Obviously you can. if you wish, ring DWP to see if they have any information but they are likely to be waiting for the health assessors.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • wagthedog13
    Options
    Thank you!  Yes ESA awarded until Nov 21 but at the lower rate.  As i am medically retiring and stated this together with my medical eveidence on the ESA 50 medical form, i did think that maybe i would have a medical and be moved to the support group - But i have heard nothing.  PIP review must just be a coincidence as i wasn't expecting anything until  Dec 2021 after just recieving a letter to say it will be awarded until then and a review at that time. 
    I appreciate your reply - Thanks
  • janer1967
    Options
    There are long delays for assessments currently so it isnt a surprise you haven't heard yet 

We have heard of lots people getting extension and then same week getting review forms. 

They are dealing with backlogs and ad your was due in feb you will have been top of the pile 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    .. i did think that maybe i would have a medical and be moved to the support group - 
    The assessment will happen in due course and if you are put in the Support Group you will be paid any arrears due.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • wagthedog13
    Options
    Thank you everyone
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @wagthedog13 :) I'm glad the above replies have been helpful. Please do keep us updated, and let us know if you have any further questions. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • wagthedog13
    Options
    I had a text message today to ring ESA straightaway.  I used the BT accessibility app Relay and it was really good.  I was on hold over an hour and they stayed with me and communicated all the automated info to me and then the communication with the advisor.  I managed to sort the issue but whilst i was on i queried the ESA assessment and 13wk period.  They advised me they had all the information they needed but that the assessments were running extremely late and one had not yet been scheduled for me,  They would be in touch when it was.  So thank you kindly everyone for your help and support. 
    I can recommend the relay app for people with hearing and/or speech issues in order to engage in contact.
  • janer1967
    Options
    Glad you gave been in touch and got things progressing 
  • wagthedog13
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.