What should I do? Desperate need of help :) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What should I do? Desperate need of help :)

Options
veganjewells
veganjewells Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2021 in Education
Haia!
I just finished my masters degree at Edinburgh Napier University, and unfortunately my time there was cut short due to Covid-19 last year. I had to finish up my course online as I was stuck in North Wales with my family. I am desperate to move back to Edinburgh as soon as I possibly can, but I am not sure if I should try out a college course (since I want to help teens and adults with their mental health). Or if I should focus on just getting any part time or full time job I can get. Or if I should go into an apprenticeship scheme. Please help!

What should I do? Desperate need of help :) 4 votes

College Course
75%
WaylayLisatho11987777Nick64 3 votes
Job
0%
Apprenticeship Scheme
25%
woodbine 1 vote

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    College Course
    I think if you get a college bourse in what you want to do you may get work placements  you may also be able to do short online causes aseel 

Scope  have  job support maybe you could speak to them  they may be able to help
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @veganjewells

You finished your course, when will you find out your results?

You don't mention what your Masters was in, but often it is not relevant when first starting out. The Masters itself will show that you have some core skills that means you will have the potential any initial employer will look for.  You may need to supplement this with further training and studying.

Sadly with the epidemic mental issues have increased a great deal and especially in young people and it is likely there will be a lot of organisations looking to recruit people into this area and by a range of organisations, NHS obviously, but also education, charities, community-based groups like youth clubs and groups as well as others. 

A lot depends on what your thoughts are about this. 

College may be one option, I would advise initially against applying for any job that comes along unless it is part of a strategy to get you where you want to be. A suitable apprenticeship could be a good step forward if you can find one. You are working in the area you and being paid while continuing your studies. Don't forget to include trainee roles in your search.

The other suggestion I would have for you is to look at the different employers you might want to work for and at least aim to get an initial job with the right team. This would allow you to get an insight in what happens while you are earning and possibly continuing your studies. With the right employer they will be happy to support you to reach your aims.

Whatever you choose, congratulations on completing your course, and I wish you all the best in whatever decisions you make.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Nick64
    Nick64 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    College Course
    I think you will even be able to do a short online course if you get a college in what you want to do you may get job placements.

A great deal depends on what your feelings on this are.

College can be one choice unless it is part of a plan to get you where you want to be, I would initially advise against applying for any job that comes along. If you can find one, a suitable apprenticeship might be a positive move forward. You work in your field and are paid as you continue your studies. In your quest, don't forget to include trainee positions.

Well-wishings on completing your course, whatever you want, and I wish you all the best in whatever decisions you take.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's certainly a difficult one @veganjewells. You've said that you want to help teens and adults with their mental health (which sounds great by the way!), do you have a particular role in mind? Was your Master's degree relevant to this sector? Perhaps you could try find a college course that offers some hands-on experience alongside the course? 

Sorry for all the questions :D I think it's also important to note that it's okay if you try a couple of different things out at this point. You could start applying for jobs whilst you have a look round for different courses or apprenticeship options, for example. When I was looking for jobs, I found that there were quite a few support worker jobs being offered. Some of these were for mental health support workers, and not too much experience was required. Is that something you've looked into so that you can get some relevant experience? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness