Advice about grants of £16200 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice about grants of £16200

Options
Snarfang
Snarfang Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all Im my husbands 24/7 carer he has manic depression with psychosis and epilepsy. Due to this he and our son (15) have never spent a day alone together as im always around. Our son came up with the idea to crowdfund for a garden room 20ftx10 or12ft. So that they can paint warhammer and play the table top games they have a 8ftx4ft gaming table and would need to put in extra tables to paint. 

The reason we need around £16200 is that we've had a kind offer to build this for us including the base and electrics for £15000+ vat if we hit target of £16200. we have also gotten another quote for everything being built for £17000.

Would we be able to get a grant for this? we are on UC and hubby has pip if we can get a grant how would we go about doing so? I hadn't heard of any grants over £600 till this evening so any help would be fantastic.

Thank you
Snarfang
[Removed by moderator - crowdfunding link]

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Snarfang welcome to scope, i doubt a grant for £16k for what you are planning would be easy to find, in fact probably impossible as it's a large amount at a time when charities are strapped for cash.
    Crowd funding might also prove difficult un less you have a large extended family and many friends.
    Don't you have a spare room they could use, or could you have the loft boarded to provide the space, this could be done for less than £500
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello and welcome.
    Would not a large shed be more doable, as it were?

£17000 seems pretty ambitious but good luck!
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Alot of grants have very specific criteria. Even then, funds are limited. I’d be very surprised if you found one. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I doubt you will get a grant for this huge sum 

Suggest you give back to the drawing board for a cheaper solution , however it would probably not be classed as essential and as such you may not get any grant 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You could apply from the council  or the lottery funding  the citizen advice would be able to advice you ?
  • susanwilf
    susanwilf Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I have a similar problem, needing a downstairs bathroom. Hope to discuss and get help maybe tomorrow, thanks for having me here, sorry if I crashed ur post x
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @susanwilf :) Thanks for joining.

Have you looked into the Disabled Facilities Grant (gov.uk)? The Scope website also has some information about getting home adaptations. Perhaps you could take a look at those to see if you might be able to access one of those grants? 

For other grants, Scope also have a grants checker tool, which could be helpful. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • LouRoots8
    LouRoots8 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
    If your husband has been sectioned on a section 3 of the mental health act then some additional funding is available. This is used to provide things that keeps the person out of hospital and well. So if he has been under a section 3 or other qualifying sections it’s worth looking at 117 aftercare. 

Brightness