Achievement- What does it mean to you? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Achievement- What does it mean to you?

WestHam06
WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
Hi all, 
          I hope that everyone is well and I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this post. I would like to please make clear this is based on opinion. The word 'achievement' by definition means 'a thing done successfully with effort, courage or skill' and 'The process or fact of achieving something'. In recent weeks I have been reflecting what 'achievement' actually means. 
In my opinion, we live in a society whereby achievement has to be something amazing, on a large scale, and to an extent something that very few people do, something that sets them apart from the rest for example buying a house or winning a gold medal at the Olympics. Now, please don't get me wrong, I agree, these are achievements and they absolutely deserve celebrating and acknowledging, however, how often do we, as a society, take the time to celebrate achievements that aren't deemed important enough to be acknowledged. In my opinion, it's often why many people feel that they are not good enough because they are not meeting those expected achievements. However, they absolutely are because achievement, in my opinion, is something uniquely individual. We all achieve, for some it will be getting the dream job, for others it will be achieving their degrees but for others it will be getting up out of bed or doing their physio each day. Achievement has been described to me as 'a gift to ourselves' and it is not for others to decide, it's for us and us alone, I couldn't agree more. 
Please, if you feel you would like too, describe what achievement means to you?
I hope this makes sense and thank you for reading. 
Thank you. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    What a great insight and thought provoking 

Totally agree achievement is a very personal thing to each individual person 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    You’ve pretty much said it all @WestHam06, achievement is anything carried out to a successful end, could be doing the washing up or climbing Everest. It reminds me of the saying ‘failure is an event, not a person’, success and failure are relative and temporary events as are we being temporary organic phenomena...at the very least.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I like to achieve stuff, such as each month I like to try and get more score into triple figures on the Xbox leader board for getting in game achievements, so far this month I'm on 802 points with hopefully more to come between now and a week on Sunday.

Also, last November I achieved a Bronze medal at my Club's first ever online Patterns competition.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I always set myself something to do everyday, and if I get it done I call that an acheivement, might not sound like much but there are days when even the smallest thing is a job well done.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Great post @WestHam06 :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @WestHam06 achriement to me is getting to where I want to be in life I am nearly there  taken a whilst but it will all be worth it 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Thank you so much to everyone for sharing their thoughts on what achievement means to them and their personal experiences of achievement, I would like to wish you all the best with whatever you wish to achieve, no matter what it is. If it is important to you, then it is important :) Thank you. 

Brightness