Hi, we're Paul & Jan. Anyone else had a DNR put on medical file due to Covid without their consent? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, we're Paul & Jan. Anyone else had a DNR put on medical file due to Covid without their consent?

pauljan1
pauljan1 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
has anyone had a DNR put on there medical file due to covid and their disability stating that the were made aware of this at the time. my wife is in Whiston hospital were they have informed me that she agreed to this but she has no knowledge of it I am now in a battel with them to get this removed
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I am sorry to read of your difficult situation.  I don't know personally about what you can do . 

Just hope other members can offer some advice 

We are here to support you 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to speak to a solicitor as soon as possible 

This happend to my dad is your wife not able to communicate to them to take the dnr off ??
  • pauljan1
    she did ask for it to be taken off and their argument is that it will have to stay on until she leaves the hospital
  • Lisatho11987777
    Thsts no good if something hsppend to her before she left 

I think it would be helpful to speak to a solicitor for advice as soon as you can or citizen advice 

It must be very worrying for you 
  • pauljan1

apparently the hospitals are all putting DNR on all covid patient's using the reason that if they have a cardiac arrest that they wont survive and especially if they have underlying health issues.

the problem I have with this is that there not consulting the family's and are just putting them on with out the proper consent and then stating that this is there wright to do this and is morally wrong for them to decide on that you are not worth saving.

• pauljan1

just eventually spoke to a doctor who tried to convince me that my wife had full knowledge of the DNR I pointed out I brought my wife in and know what her condition was and that she was in on fit state to agree to any form of DNR or treatment at the time there stating and in addition they had a duty of care to contact me and inform me of any thing they were trying to put in place.

the doctor then told me that jan was well aware of the DNR and verbally agreed to it at this point I informed the doctor that I have video footage of my wife right before I took her to hospital and at no time did my wife understand what was happening and I'm ending the conversation with her and seeking legal advice in the morning and I will be suing the hospital and the three doctors who obviously lied to put a DNR on my wife's file without proper consent and that I will be providing the video to the solicitors.

at this point the doctor angrily stated that they have the wright to apply a DNR without consent and that its my right to seek advice and slammed the phone down.

I then facetimed my wife and was talking to her for around 15mins when the staff nurse came in and said the doctor has removed the DNR from the file.

bit of advice use your phone to record the condition of your loved ones before taking them to any hospital as there doing this everywere

• pauljan1
    I am still passing all this information on as this has to stop
  • Lisatho11987777
    Well done I just spoke to my brother who is a solicitor  and as you just said she wasn't fully aware of what was happening so they shouldn't of put it on her file 

You can still put a complaint in about the situation as it shouldn't of happend but at least its off her file now 

Hope you  get something sorted 
  • pauljan1
    I fully intend to once my wife is safe at home with me I am also going to pass it on to disability rights and the human rights commission and any other governing body
  • Lisatho11987777
    @pauljan1 I would as well it shouldn't be allowed what  

It is good that your wife had your support and you could do something about it others may not have got the chance 

Good luck with everything and hope your wife gets well soon and can come home 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pauljan1. How are you doing? This is an awful situation, so I'm very sorry to hear that it's happened to you and your wife. I've sent you an email about something that might help you to raise awareness of this issue :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    We agreed to a DNR on my mum, she had no idea because she had no idea of anything by then, it was reviewed every 6 months over the 2 years she lived, my MIL also who has dementia has a DNR as did my dad in his final year.

What I find really difficult to understand is that ALL hospitals are putting ALL covid patients on DNR's? Really? I'd like to see some evidence for this statement.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness