Lack of motivation? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lack of motivation?

Andywheels56
Andywheels56 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
Is it possible to score points in the pip activities and use a lack of motivation because of a mental health issue as a reason. If your anxiety is so overwhelming and you suffer extreme fatigue during the day then you cannot surely be expected to do certain activities reliably during the day. I am thinking of 

1.Preparing Food
2.Taking Nutrition
4.Washing and bathing
6.Dressing and undressing
8.Reading
!0. Making budgeting decisions

Comments

• justlooking88
    justlooking88 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Not for 8 / reading. Motivation doesn’t count here
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    @Andywheels56 are you applying for PIP ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,934 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

May i ask if your condition has changed since the last time you posted here? There was a rather large thread a few months ago and in this thread you were given a huge amount of advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Andywheels56
    Hi @poppy123456

I would say yes my condition has changed since I last posted on here. Although my original application for pip was solely based on a hearing complaint I believe that my mental state has definitely been affected during the past 6 months. Anxiety and depression are now a huge factor in my life to such an extent that I now suffer panic attacks if I have to go out. Lack of sleep is a big issue because of the tinnitus, I find I cannot do any activity that requires a degree of concentration for even a short amount of time before I start to get extremely tired. I don't bother with personal hygiene, I eat basically **** food, have lost all interest in physical activity. Only go shopping very early in the morning when nobody is around.

I know I was given a lot of advice in my previous thread and it was greatly appreciated, but I let my previous application lapse. Have since been onto the dwp to start a fresh application and they are sending the forms out.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,934 Disability Gamechanger
    When filling out the forms make sure you put as much relevant information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding a couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Who was with you, where it happened and a detailed explanation of exactly what happened.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Andywheels56
    Hello

Have filled out the pip form and I think I've done a decent job of it this time, putting a couple of real world examples for all the descriptors that apply mainly regarding lack of motivation.

I have a question. Could those same arguments be used in a mandatory reconsideration for new style esa. I know I didn't do a very good job of filling in the esa50 form and I scored 0 points in total. I was placed in the wrag group because I mentioned something about harming myself. Now I know more about how my condition affects me could I use lack of motivation for say :

11. Learning how to do tasks
    12. Awareness of hazards or danger
    13. Starting and finishing tasks
    14. Coping with changes
    15. Going out
    16. Coping with changes

Think also I should have scored something for Activity 7 - Understanding Communication. I know it is not in the PIP descriptors but it's in the esa ones.

Any advice greatly appreciated
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Andywheels56

Yes there would be a good case for using these in your mr 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.