Hi, my name is Mylittlesuperhero! My son has ASD, and is starting secondary school in September — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Mylittlesuperhero! My son has ASD, and is starting secondary school in September

Options
Mylittlesuperhero
Mylittlesuperhero Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited February 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi, I'm new here and just wanted to see how everyone is in this 3rd lockdown? I have an 11 year old with Hugh functioning ASD who will be starting secondary school in September and it feels like it's going to be an extra weird transition.  He's finally got his EHCP and a main stream school has been named- that was a battle in itself after 2 others said he was too autistic (?!) And one cited he would not fit the aesthetic of the school! Shocking! I'm an education support worker in a college and I can't believe the attitude of some schools still,  ignorant archaic and discriminatory but yet somehow still allowed. Anyway wanted to say hi! ? any tips much appreciated x

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

I can't really offer any words if wisdom for you but you may find more help in our parents and carers section 

Just wanted to say hi 
  • Tom70
    Tom70 Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    Options
    Hi, I’m new as well!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    @Mylittlesuperhero If your son has ASD, as I do, do NOT send him to mainstream school! He WILL be bullied, seriously when I went to secondary school I'd have walked out after the first lesson (double science) and got the Bus Home on the first day if not for the fact I came besties with my ex, the bullying was THAT bad.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm very sorry to read that was your experience of mainstream secondary schools @MrAllen1976, but it definitely isn't always the case. Lots of children with ASD get on very well in mainstream education and there is far more support then there was back when you were at school. Schools have also adopted much stronger anti-bullying policies which helps too.

@Mylittlesuperhero, my youngest daughter is heading off to secondary school in September too. We're still on the diagnosis-pathway but we've long suspected she has high-functioning ASD. She's always found transition difficult so we've been dreading the move to secondary school and I think the repeated lockdowns and home-schooling has made it far more difficult. It's meant she's already missed out on tours of the school and a lot of the transition work they do throughout year 6.

I'm sorry it sounds like you've had such a battle with schools and getting your son's EHCP in place. It's shocking that one said he was "too autistic" and one blamed the school's aesthetic! Have you had the opportunity to speak with/meet the SENCO at the new school yet? 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness