HI i am new here! :) SDP confused! cant find answer i am looking for, — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

HI i am new here! :) SDP confused! cant find answer i am looking for,

Options
robbie9617
robbie9617 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
HI i'm new here :)

i just wanted to ask, i have been on PIP since 2017-  and esa for around 6 years. i live alone (moved into flat back in 2017),  no one is receiving carers allowence,
at the moment i receive 261 esa. 463/ PIP. if i ring up and ask for SDP would i be entitled to it?.

would this mean a change in circumstances? would it mean i am swapped over to universal credit?

thank you for your help! :)

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    As you live alone you qualify for SDP if no one gets Carer’s Allowance or the carer element of UC for looking after you and your PIP award includes the Daily Living component.

Simply ring ESA and ask about the SDP. It can be added and backdated to the date you first met the qualifying conditions.

Getting SDP is not a change that triggers a need to apply for UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome I hope the above answers your query and your claim goes ok 
  • robbie9617
    Options
    Hi everyone, thank you for your quick replies, :smile: i have been on to the phone about sdp and spoke to someone about claiming for it,

as i understand it would be a while till i get the backdated payment,

~if they accept/ how much back dated would i get? as i have been at my flat since 2017, living on my own and no one is  claiming carers etc, had all necessary questions over the phone,

it would be a tremendous help,

as my dog has a growth on his backend and looking for private care (as i believe its worth any penny, for my best friend, i would not know what to do without him. 

i would be able to use this money to help for surgery,
    any help would be greatful many thanks

pip 2017- 460 something-?
    esa 260 something?
    flat moved in since 2017 april
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,628 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As above it will be back dated to when you met the conditions for being paid it this year it is £66.95 a week, it will increase slightly in April, but would have been slightly less in previous years, so its not that easy to work out but providing you have qualified it will be a decent amount, but don't whatever you do spend it before you get it would be my advice.
    Let us know how you get on?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• robbie9617
    Options
    thank you i will be sure to let everyone know the outcome ! :)
  • robbie9617
    Options
    HI guys! i am writing to let you know that it all went through! and i am now in reciept of SDP! i had my backdated payment on the 1st of march, and i was expecting a payment from esa yesterday (every fortnight) 2weekly every wednesday, i am a bit confused as i haven't recieved my esa today, would that have been added with the backdated payment? as i didn't get any heads up about it? 

many thanks!
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I would give them a ring but I know last year when my mum got her backdated payment her usual benefit payment changed for that week only because they had to calculate the new fortnightly amount and it got released late. 
  • robbie9617
    Options
    thank you!  for getting back to me, my mum is gonna ring them as she is my atttornee  thank you again for such a quick reply! 

all the best 
  • robbie9617
    edited March 2021
    Options

i rang up myself and a lady has said the benefits team will ring me to discuss my payment, an that she has put a note for the money to be sent as a same day payment and may show up as jsa or something. has anyone had this issue before?

many thanks

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.