Hi, my name is samib! I'm nervous for my ESA assessment tomorrow — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is samib! I'm nervous for my ESA assessment tomorrow

samib
samib Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I have my esa telephone assessment tomoro. I am literally sick with nerves. My anxiety is bad at best but this has thrown me. I didnt keep copy of my answers and my memory is poor at all times to point i have to recheck e,thing i do. So scared.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

H ings an assessment causes lots of people stress try and find something to do to take your mind off it 

You will be fine all you need to do is tell them how it is they understand you will be nervous 

Let us know how it goes 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @samib :) 

As Janer1967 has said, assessments cause a lot of people anxiety so you're definitely not alone in how you're feeling. I've moved your post into our ESA category and tweaked the title slightly so that others who've been in a similar position will be more likely to see it. 

Definitely let them know that you're feeling nervous, and be honest about your concerns. 

Is there anyone who could be in the room with you for support when you take the call? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • samib
    Many thanks unfortunately due to covid no1 can b here at that precise time they phoning.... one works for trust and my mum in vulnerable group.

Just hope and pray i get throu it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I see @samib. Although you didn't keep a copy of your answers, you could make a few notes before the call of things you want to make sure get across? That might prevent you from forgetting something important. 

You'll get through it one way or another :) I know it's easier said than done, but try and relax for now. Is there anything you can distract yourself with? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • samib
    Yea am clearing out things and making  notes... will let u know afterwards tomoro. Thank u so much xx
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    samib said:
    Yea am clearing out things and making  notes... will let u know afterwards tomoro. Thank u so much xx
    Hope it goes well for you :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • samib
    They phoned 10 minutes after interview was due to start saying sickness so now postponed to 1st march. My nerves r completely shattered y 10 mins b4 hand 
  • janer1967
    Hi sorry to hear it was postponed you may have been notified late because the assessor didnt report their absence until that time 
  • samib
    Just sick with nerves
  • M1972
    M1972 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi samib my names Mary. I'm also new and its not nice most of them are so cold  I hope it goes well for you..... Answer their questions honestly and wear loose clothing with a cuppa lol good luck kx
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    janer1967 said:
    Hi sorry to hear it was postponed you may have been notified late because the assessor didnt report their absence until that time 
    Or the assessor was called to a family emergency.  It's sometimes easy to forget assessors and DMs are people too!  
  • samib
    Need baggy clothes goin throu menopause surgical enhanced!!! So have to clean multiple times a day!!!
  • Arjuna
    Arjuna Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    No need to feel nervous , You'll have a doctor and a civil servant there , and their normally quite sympathetic and will allow you the time to express yourself clearly , don't worry about what the bottom lines  are , just express your health concerns sincerely. Good luck , you'll be fine.. 
  • M1972
    M1972 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Oh bless u Sam I'm so sorry it was postponed xx
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Arjuna said:
    No need to feel nervous , You'll have a doctor and a civil servant there , and their normally quite sympathetic and will allow you the time to express yourself clearly , don't worry about what the bottom lines  are , just express your health concerns sincerely. Good luck , you'll be fine.. 
    I don't think reference to a civil servant is correct (unless you are referring to the clerk).
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hmcts-whos-who-social-security-and-child-support-tribunal#the-tribunal-panel
    "An appeal is decided by a judge sitting alone or by a tribunal panel of up to three people. The tribunal is always chaired by a legally qualified tribunal judge, appointed by the Senior President of Tribunals. Sometimes the panel may include a doctor or a person with experience in disability issues."
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Arjuna
    Arjuna Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Easy Tiger , you'll have the poor person thinking their attending the Old bailey or something , Its really not that big of a deal , I've attended 2 tribunals , and I found them  quite relaxed - their not there to trip you up , just to listen.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Arjuna said:
    Easy Tiger , you'll have the poor person thinking their attending the Old bailey or something , Its really not that big of a deal , I've attended 2 tribunals , and I found them  quite relaxed - their not there to trip you up , just to listen.
    That wasn't my intention! It was just your reference to a civil servant that puzzled me.
    You are quite right, tribunals are investigative, not adversarial and (for the most part) tribunal judges will seek to put the claimant at their ease.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • samib
    So i had my telephone first assessment this morning. Was nerve wrecking and just lots of questions.... not hopeful but will keep u all posted xxx 
  • janer1967
    @samib glad it's all done with will you be requesting a copy if your report or just waiting for the decision 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @samib Well done for getting through it, I'm sure that's one heck of a relief.  Our fingers are crossed for the outcome.  Good luck!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.