Employment for a powered wheelchair user — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Employment for a powered wheelchair user

colet
colet CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 101 Pioneering
edited January 2021 in Work and employment
The last 3 years I have been applying for jobs and I get interviews but then they see my wheelchair and I don’t get the job.

I really want to work 

this is how much I want a job: last June I started a YouTube channel called Wheelchair Fun https://instabio.cc/Wheelchairfun 

i just want to educate people about disabilities especially powered wheelchair users and Cerebral Palsy .
Tagged:

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @colet hi and welcome to the community  scope have a very good job support  and they can help you to match a job to your ability   I am on the job support a no I find it very good 

I am not sure how to put the link on but if you scroll down to the bottom  of the page i think you can find it there 

Other people will also comment 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

The job centre have disability work coaches who may be able to help and as suggested the scope work programme 

What sort of work are you wanting to do and do you have any work experience 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    colet said:
    The last 3 years I have been applying for jobs and I get interviews but then they see my wheelchair and I don’t get the job.

I really want to work 

this is how much I want a job: last June I started a YouTube channel called Wheelchair Fun https://instabio.cc/Wheelchairfun 

i just want to educate people about disabilities especially powered wheelchair users and Cerebral Palsy .
    If they are turning you down directly because of disability, you could sue them for discrimination under the 2010 Equality Act.

Do you have a Lawyer?

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @colet! I hope you're well. Your YouTube channel looks fantastic :) It's really great that you're so committed to raising awareness. 

As Lisa mentioned, Scope have a couple of employment services. Have you ever heard of our Support to Work service? I'd definitely recommend that you look into it to find out if you're eligible. 

I'd also be interested to know what kind of work you're interested in, so please do let us know. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • colet
    Hi @colet! I hope you're well. Your YouTube channel looks fantastic :) It's really great that you're so committed to raising awareness. 

As Lisa mentioned, Scope have a couple of employment services. Have you ever heard of our Support to Work service? I'd definitely recommend that you look into it to find out if you're eligible. 

I'd also be interested to know what kind of work you're interested in, so please do let us know. 
    I am interested in in administration but it is hard because I have got a D grade in England and everyone wants a C grade or above 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @colet on the scope job support thst I am on they do short courses with you  and they help you find the job you want to do 

Thry may be able to help you find what your looking for I find it very helpful I am changing jobs from what I used to do I what to do moderating and helping people with disabiltys or similar jobs ? 

Hope you find what your looking for 
  • Tori_Scope
    Have you considered retaking your English GCSE @colet? That could help to open some more doors up for you,. 

• Lisatho11987777
    @Tori_Scope I am doing a short English course with scope job support would thst be any help 
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm sure that could be something colet could explore if they were to sign up to one of Scope's employment services @lisathomas50. I'm glad that you're able to access that, it sounds great! Local colleges and the like will often offer these types of courses too, so there's hopefully a suitable option out there for a lot of people. 

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck @colet with your job search and I'm going to check out your Youtube account when I next have a break :)  

Re-sitting GCSE's can be expensive unfortunately, but try not to let it deter you.  If you speak to your local college's Disability Service they will be able to inform you of any entitlement based on your individual circumstances, while this Funding for disabled students webpage lists funding streams you could apply to too.  Online learning is increasingly popular, and if you need any help sourcing a reputable education provider please let us know.  All the best with your career goals! You can do it  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • colet
    I tried 5 times to get my C gade

Brightness