Is online shopping accessible? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is online shopping accessible?

Comments

1119082 Posts: 258 Courageous
    How about you 
  • deanna
    deanna Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    edited February 2021
    I am fine with online shopping, both for goods and groceries.  Unfortunately I am finding it expensive shopping for groceries as I don't always want to buy £40 of food to get free delivery, but have to to get fruit, bread etc which doesn't last a week.  I also miss being able to go to a couple of different shops to get all I need at the best prices.  That just doesn't happen anymore.  I am high risk so shielding as much as possible.  I have my favourite shop (Aldi) a mile down the road (and things I can only get from there no one else does them or a substitute) but they don't seem to have a link with the couriers that are supposed to pick up from Aldi for some reason.  That is a bit peeve making lol.

With buying goods I buy quite a lot from Amazon. Generally it works out well.  But there is one annoying problem.  If something is big and heavy, and broken or something, they expect you to organise the collection.  Which was a pain with a couple of monitors I ordered that weren't as described for a Xmas present for my son.  Nightmare two weeks later it was finally picked up.  I just couldn't have dropped them off myself.  I think Amazon is missing a trick with this, as it means I now don't order things I will have difficulty returning to them anymore.  I have explained how difficult returns are for someone with mobility problems but no one wanted to know.  To my mind, it does limit accessibility. I told them I'd be prepared to say pay half of the delivery cost if necessary.  Blanked.

One thing about the lockdowns, I have learned to bulk buy some things to make best use of online delivery costs and to make sure I don't run out of an essential.  So its not all bad.

I now hate even more than usual shopping in shops.  The rules as to what you need to do in a shop change, they don't have a sign in the door explaining what you need to do.  I have burst into tears several times (autistic), experienced low blood sugars (diabetic and no where to sit to eat something). breathing problems (asthma) so it can be a nightmare.  So yes, I prefer online shopping. I can't queue for more than ten minutes (rh arthritis) so when lockdowns start its very difficult if I can't find someone somewhere with a delivery slot.  

But I miss the exercise shopping used to give me.  I just wish retail outlets online and actual would realise how dreadful shopping can be for people with physical or mental health conditions.  Why oh why can't they employ one or two of us in headquarters (I can't believe they do already with how they are set up).

It does make you feel devalued and worthless sometimes.  And even more isolated.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    deanna said:
    I am fine with online shopping, both for goods and groceries.  Unfortunately I am finding it expensive shopping for groceries as I don't always want to buy £40 of food to get free delivery, but have to to get fruit, bread etc which doesn't last a week.  I also miss being able to go to a couple of different shops to get all I need at the best prices.  That just doesn't happen anymore.  I am high risk so shielding as much as possible.  I have my favourite shop (Aldi) a mile down the road (and things I can only get from there no one else does them or a substitute) but they don't seem to have a link with the couriers that are supposed to pick up from Aldi for some reason.  That is a bit peeve making lol.

With buying goods I buy quite a lot from Amazon. Generally it works out well.  But there is one annoying problem.  If something is big and heavy, and broken or something, they expect you to organise the collection.  Which was a pain with a couple of monitors I ordered that weren't as described for a Xmas present for my son.  Nightmare two weeks later it was finally picked up.  I just couldn't have dropped them off myself.  I think Amazon is missing a trick with this, as it means I now don't order things I will have difficulty returning to them anymore.  I have explained how difficult returns are for someone with mobility problems but no one wanted to know.  To my mind, it does limit accessibility. I told them I'd be prepared to say pay half of the delivery cost if necessary.  Blanked.

One thing about the lockdowns, I have learned to bulk buy some things to make best use of online delivery costs and to make sure I don't run out of an essential.  So its not all bad.

I now hate even more than usual shopping in shops.  The rules as to what you need to do in a shop change, they don't have a sign in the door explaining what you need to do.  I have burst into tears several times (autistic), experienced low blood sugars (diabetic and no where to sit to eat something). breathing problems (asthma) so it can be a nightmare.  So yes, I prefer online shopping. I can't queue for more than ten minutes (rh arthritis) so when lockdowns start its very difficult if I can't find someone somewhere with a delivery slot.  

But I miss the exercise shopping used to give me.  I just wish retail outlets online and actual would realise how dreadful shopping can be for people with physical or mental health conditions.  Why oh why can't they employ one or two of us in headquarters (I can't believe they do already with how they are set up).

It does make you feel devalued and worthless sometimes.  And even more isolated.
    I applied to the Amazon Depot in Page Hall last year, I got to the telephone interview and they said they wouldn't even interview me because I was silly enough to declare my disability on the online application! Surely under the 2010 Equality Act that's legally questionable?!

• dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    The new law on  Increased Security authorisation of credit and debit cards is a pain, as they want to send you a text with a number to complete your online purchase, but what happens when you don't have a mobile phone and are denied access to paying for the goods 

They are forcing people to buy something that they might not be able to afford or use, very ill-thought out law 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I havent had to do that I always shop on line unless it could be  the company your buying from 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @dkb123 I was aware that this had been set up by Visa and Mastercard  to reduce fraud, but  was unaware it was law, as the company has to register to use the system, and it does not happen on every purchase.

The system does allow for either a password to be used or a one off pin code. The default is the one off pin code, as this is more secure, however if you are having issues with this you should contact your bank and see if you can arrange to use a password instead.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I havent had to do that I always shop on line unless it could be  the company your buying from 
    From what I have read online its coming into force everywhere, so in the future you may find it starts asking you 
  • dkb123
    What concerns me is if people who are shielding order online food, you will not be able to shop without a mobile 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    dkb123 said:
    What concerns me is if people who are shielding order online food, you will not be able to shop without a mobile 
    I agree there are drawbacks and I think if any business is going to implement this fully then there needs to be mechanisms implemented to assist with this sort of situation. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    dkb123 said:
    The new law on  Increased Security authorisation of credit and debit cards is a pain, as they want to send you a text with a number to complete your online purchase, but what happens when you don't have a mobile phone and are denied access to paying for the goods 

They are forcing people to buy something that they might not be able to afford or use, very ill-thought out law 
    Indeed, thought up by clueless jobsworths in London who've never set foot outside their swanky Offices and seen the real world.

• Geoark
    @dkb123

Sorry but you can keep repeating yourself, it doesn't change the fact that it can still be used without a mobile phone. As mentioned you would need to speak to the bank/building society/credit union regarding this. The code comes through to my mobile, but it is also sent to my email address. As mentioned above the system is set up to accept a password. So simply continuing to insist that without a mobile phone you would not be able to use the system is not correct.

• Geoark
    @:MrAllen or indeed smart people who are helping to protect banks merchants and consumers.  Plus enabling people to feel more secure shopping online and allowing more people to benefit from online shopping. Then again I do appreciate you feel a need to rage against those in paid jobs.

• dkb123
    The Bank I use and I don't think it is worth naming them, suffice to say they are a large everyday Bank, say Mastercard only allows the Pin to be sent to a Moblie, and yes the bank does say that without a mobile I can not continue to make online purchases.  ít Is not about rage or controversy it is about the control the banks have over ordinary people lives.  I am not in the habit of repeating myself and I do realise that you are somewhat of a combative  character on these boards  but  to put down genuine comments in such a dismissive way, is not particularly attractive 
  • Geoark
    Hi @dkb123

Yes I will challenge something that I do not believe is right. But I will also apologise when I get things wrong. In this case on two issues. First I had not realised that this had been passed into legislation and second that the response has been very different between the banks. For both of these I unreservedly apologise.

In general the amount of control any service provider has over us is that which we allow them. As with any service provider you need to work out what you want from it and select the provider which best meets your needs. Usually there is some compromise. I have listed below how some of the main banks are dealing with this.

If, and I do not disbelieve you,  you were told by your bank that Mastercard will only accept verification by mobile phone then I believe this is wrong. As I said I get it sent to me via sms and email and I have a Mastercard debit card. Even if this was true, how would it be the banks fault for applying terms and conditions insisted on by an external supplier?

That aside, I do agree with you that the more restrictive they are in how they will pass this code on then it will make it harder for some people to benefit fully from being on the internet.

Barclays Bank - will send you a card reader with details which will give you a code that you can use to authorise payment. Otherwise it is  via its app or by sms message.

Lloyds bank will post a code to your mobile, or call you on your landline and get it authorised.

HSBC only use mobile phones to give you the passcode, however they are currently reviewing this and intend to supplement them later in the year.

Royal Bank of Scotland primary focus is on IOS and Adroid, however if you don't have a mobile or suitable mobile you can arrange for them to send the passcode to you by email or call them to authorise the payment.

Santander only mention via the mobile.

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    We do most of our shopping online, supermarkets, amazon and ebay, i struggle with mobility so being able to sit at the computer and order something i need is a godsend, i find most websites easy to navigate through, but agree that more should be done for those that struggle 
  • Gothfrog
    Gothfrog Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I'm getting annoyed with it. I moved to a new area just before lockdown. They don't have me on the priority services. So online shopping is a nightmare and I'm lucky if I can get a delivery slot. Deliveroo adding shops to their service has become my saviour 
  • jakeweatherald28
    jakeweatherald28 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Online Shopping is very beneficial in this present era because recently I bought katana swords online and that’s the reason people are liking the online platform for doing shopping for anything they require.
  • marybottomley
    marybottomley Community member Posts: 887 Pioneering
    not always but most of the time 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I love online shopping 
  • marybottomley
    marybottomley Community member Posts: 887 Pioneering
    When it goes right it is brilliant 
    when it goes wrong it’s horrible 

Brightness