Dyslexic Teenager at School — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dyslexic Teenager at School

Options
Terile
Terile Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2021 in Education

My son has dyslexia, and he was struggling at school. The latest assessment shows that he has got problems with memory and verbal communication. But, he is good at Mathematics.

He was attending online classes for the past year due to the COVID outbreak. Now, their school has reopened, and the teachers have asked them to get back to school next month. I was able to pay attention to his studies while he was at home, which has helped him a lot. I am not sure whether he will get the same care at school.

The teachers said that the school had upgraded their student health management system, which is very beneficial to physically weak students. They said that both parents and teachers could track students' health status via this s/w and take appropriate actions when needed.

I like to know how you people are dealing with this. Does your school provide extra support to dyslexic students?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The target date for re-opening schools is March 8th but a final decision won't be made on that until 22nd Feb. Although I understand that schools in Wales might return after this weeks holiday.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

I would suggest you speak to school to ask what support they offer in his situation 

They must have other students or have come across this in the past 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @terile :) I hope you're well. 

Was he receiving any extra support from the school before lockdown? Does he have an EHCP? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Terile
    Terile Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Welcome to the community @terile :) I hope you're well. 

Was he receiving any extra suppHort from the school before lockdown? Does he have an EHCP? 
    He do not have EHCP. Yes, he received some sort of extra care from the school.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Apologies, I just read that EHCPs aren't usually given to students with dyslexia only, so that was my mistake @Terile

I'm glad to hear that the school have updated their student health management system. Are all of his teachers aware of his dyslexia? Do you have a good relationship with the SENCo?

• Edward627
    Edward627 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited April 2021
    Options
    This is the responsibility of school management to upgrade their system for those students who are physically weak. The [Removed by moderator - advertising link] work for providing professional writing services. You can grab for some quality content.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Hi @Edward627 :) Welcome to the community.

I've removed the link from your comment, as it appeared to be advertising a paid-for service. This breaches our House Rules

Brightness