Careers and Autism — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Careers and Autism

mia97
mia97 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
edited February 2021 in Work and employment

Hi all,

I was wondering, from your experience, what type of careers, job roles or sectors suit those who are autistic?

I am 23 years old and high functioning, I have completed a Business degree, IT qualifications, Apprenticeships and worked in retail; working in a wide range of environments.

I am now at a point in my life where I have some time to re-evaluate my options and would be very grateful for some ideas/suggestions.

Thank you in advance! 

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

It is hard to suggest without knowing what sort of career you want to go into 

What are your interests do you want to work in a customer focused role or an admin support role or it 

You have good background qualifications 

Look on some job sites to see the sort if roles being advertised to get some idea. Indeed is a good site 
  • mia97
    mia97 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    edited February 2021
    @janer1967
    Thank you for your reply, I understand where you are coming from. I just wondered, from people's opinion/experience, if they have found a certain sector/job role/job type to be successful for those on the Autistic spectrum. I don't really want to give too much away about myself, I am doing some research. I am aware of the job sites, I use them regularly and have a well built LinkedIn profile. I really wanted to hear other people's opinions because they may come up with something I had not yet thought of. If you have any ideas, please share them - I would appreciate this!
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I am not autistic but know people who are and they are working in different sectors one person I know works in the job center another person I know works in a bank  and others I know work in retail  

I think that any one with a condition has to fo what's best for them scope do a very good job support scheme  which is very good and help full

The job support that I am doing with scope matches me to a job thst I would to do and then I get help and support to find this type of job and get help with short courses to do to help ne get the job I want to do 

Do you know what job you would like to do I don't know how to put the link on for the job support but I think its in the emoyment section and maybe at the bottom of this page 

Hope my comment helps 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mia97 :)

You're absolutely welcome to ask for other people's ideas on what kind of jobs might suit you, but I also agree that you should be able to go into the industry or role that you're interested in. Also, people with autism don't always have the same skills or interests to each other, so what suits one person might not suit another. Hopefully other members will come along with some more ideas though to get you thinking!

I understand that you might not want to share lots of details about what you're looking into, and that's totally fine. Scope do offer a number of employment services as lisathomas50 said, and you can read about these here. It sounds as though you have some great qualifications and experiences under your belt, which is a fantastic starting point. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness