Privacy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Privacy

ZombieZombie
ZombieZombie Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I am not happy that anything posted here can be read by anyone on the internet. Why don't Scope make the forums private?

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @ZombieZombie and welcome to the community.
    Accessibility concerns aside, we don't like the idea of hiding information behind a sign-in wall. Keeping the forum publicly viewable ensures that visitors can view information quickly and anonymously.

While I appreciate you might have reservations about posting publicly, we go to great lengths to provide our members with anonymity - members aren't required to provide a name, date of birth or even asked to verify their email address. We're also very quick to remove personal information if it is posted in error.

I hope that helps!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ZombieZombie
    It isn't "hiding". It is privacy. Do you show your emails to everyone? People are sharing very personal things, and are often vulnerable, and because the forums are open to anyone, that could lead to people being compromised. It doesn't take a genius to work out who someone is if they are from the same community/family/estate. What is your problem with basic privacy for forums?
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    edited February 2021
    @ZombieZombie . How do you think it could work if it was private? I'm not sure it could. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited February 2021
    Hello,
    We certainly don’t have a problem with privacy. We do all we can to ensure your experience here is more private and anonymised than most. 
    If you particularly want to communicate privately, you can also use the private messaging function once you have at least 25 points. 
    However, the forum is public because we must balance the demand for an accessible platform and a need to openly provide indexed information and advice with said privacy.

If members particularly wanted there to be private areas of the community, that is something we might consider, but it is not something we’ve ever really seen requested.

A lot of our members find us because they’re seeking support from others with similar experiences or in similar situations. If we were behind a sign-in wall, visitors would be less likely to find that support.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Couldn't agree more @Adrian_Scope.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    It wouldn't be a forum if others couldn't see it and see what others were saying to get support 
  • cartha
    cartha Community member Posts: 1,390 Pioneering
    8<

If members particularly wanted there to be private areas of the community, that is something we might consider, but it is not something we’ve ever really seen requested.
    8<
    I think it would be useful to have a private area where only members can see. I know that doesn't guarantee privacy because members can talk but it would prevent unwanted URLs linking to the pages. Besides being a very private person myself, I also have a court gagging order on me, so I have to be very careful with what I say in public.
  • ZombieZombie
    "However, the forum is public because we must balance the demand for an accessible platform and a need to openly provide indexed information and advice with said privacy." You don't have the right or consent to use people's personal information as "indexed information". I never gave you permission. And it has NO privacy. Any crook can read these forums.
  • ZombieZombie

We will only collect, use and otherwise handle your personal data:

• where you have consented to this for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes
    • where this is necessary to fulfil legal obligations that apply to us
    • where it is necessary for our legitimate interests relating to running our daily operations, as long as, in each case, these interests are in line with applicable law and your legal rights and freedoms.

• cartha
    I think it would be very difficult to make a fully private forum because each member would need to be checked out before being given access, otherwise anyone can just sign up to get access. This would add a lot of work to the Scope team.

I don't mind this site using and indexing the information I am willing to share here as long as they aren't profiting from it, and it is being used to help other people.
  • woodbine
    cartha said:
    8<

8<
    I think it would be useful to have a private area where only members can see. I know that doesn't guarantee privacy because members can talk but it would prevent unwanted URLs linking to the pages. Besides being a very private person myself, I also have a court gagging order on me, so I have to be very careful with what I say in public.
    Just a suggestion that being the case that you remove your photo from public view?

• woodbine
    @ZombieZombie I'm not really sure exactly what your problem is? After all no-one is forced to use this forum and very little info about an individual can be gleamed by another member.
    Also scope has never ever used my membership of the forum to try and sell me anything, unlike some other online forums.

• cartha
    @woodbine Thank you for the suggestion but I'm not allowed to be anonymous. If I take away my photo then I would have to change my user name to my real name. I prefer the photo. Besides, that could be a photo I got off the internet as far as anyone is concerned, it's on enough websites ;-)
  • Adrian_Scope
    "However, the forum is public because we must balance the demand for an accessible platform and a need to openly provide indexed information and advice with said privacy." You don't have the right or consent to use people's personal information as "indexed information". I never gave you permission. And it has NO privacy. Any crook can read these forums.
    We don't use people's personal information as indexed information and I'm sorry if my reply has led you to believe that we do. The information I was referring to was the help and advice that we post and share here.

We actively encourage people to NOT share personal information, but if you have concerns over your privacy and would like to delete your account and remove all your posted content, please let us know.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Curiousier and curiousier....

• Swatteam
    Swatteam Community member Posts: 175 Pioneering
    edited February 2021
    [Removed by moderator - please remember to keep it friendly.]
  • ZombieZombie
    Yes delete it all. I would but there is no option. @Adrian_Scope