Loans for a stair lift and mobility scooters? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Loans for a stair lift and mobility scooters?

Options
mzjojo
mzjojo Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I am 76 years old with almost lifelong spinal stenosis.
My granddaughter, now aged19 was in foster care years ago, because of neglect and abuse from her drug addict mother, my daughter!
Last June my granddaughter turned up on my doorstep, although she was scared because her mother had told her that I had poisoned her chihuahua whilst she was in care and all sorts of horrible lies about me!  The dog had actually starved to death because she went to live in Birmingham for weeks at a time!
She has suffered unbelievably at the hands of her mother and carers and is still suffering anxieties and not able to sleep.  She has nightmares and sometimes hallucinations.
I am currently on a State pension and pension credit.  I have a one bedroom housing association flat and Jess has been sleeping on my old two seater settee since June.
We are now waiting for permission to swap to a 2 bedroom house with a garden.  The first garden Jess has ever had!
My major problem here is the stairs!  We had to take the house as we had been let down on a flat but also Jess had anxieties regarding several areas!
Is there any way I can buy (on credit) a second hand stair lift?
I also need a good quality mobility scooter as it is far from bus and train station!
Do Universal Credit offer loans, do you know!
Jess isn't at work at the moment but is hoping to qualify for Weymouth College in the summer!
We really need help but don't know where to turn
Thank you for your time

Jojo xx
 ;) 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Is it a council house? You can refer for care needs assessment and they may recommend a stair lift but as for funding I dont know but i think the council have some arrangements for paying for adaptions on monthly terms 

If getting one second hand it's not very often they would accept credit as most are private sale 

Do you claim PIP at all as you could get scooter through mobility if you get enhanced rate 

You can also often find scooters on Facebook or ebay 

You can also lease them and pay monthly fee search on google 
  • mzjojo
    mzjojo Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Thank you so much Janer!  I shall start looking!  x

Brightness