Claiming ESA for hand problems? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming ESA for hand problems?

HKW
HKW Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Does anyone have any experience of claiming ESA for hand problems? I have worked in office environment for years and been made redundant.I am unable to look for office work again due to arthritis and RSI in both hands, which are considered a disablilty. Do I stand any chance of getting ESA or should I go down JSA route?  Is there a phone number I can call to speak to a human being about claiming ESA in current circumstances?  Internet search points me only to numbers with automated sytems where I eventually am told to claim on line and get cut off. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

You are only eligible for new style ESA if you have the correct amount of ni contributions and you will need to provide a fit note 

The other option is UC and if you declare medical condition along with fit note it could lead to work capability assessment 

Until this is complete you will be asked to complete some work commitments 

The work capability does look at if you are fit for any type of work so they may not see your condition as seeming you unfit for work 
  • HKW
    HKW Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks and wish me luck!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.