esa stopped which benefit do I apply for? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

esa stopped which benefit do I apply for?

ukonline1
ukonline1 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
My husband is 65 year old and disabled gone in pension and taking pip and now Esa stop benifit,
Me as well disabled im taking pip 
 ESA claim was my husband name
Now care's allowance stop as well what i have to do which benifit i have to apply which cover my ESA money  and care's allowance
thank you 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Can you please clarify. Has the ESA stopped because your husband has reached pension age (66) or has he been told it will stop when he reaches pension age in the near future.
    Who was claiming Carer's Allowance?
    How old are you.
    Are/were you claiming any other benefits such as Housing Benefit?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ukonline1

Im 57 year old im disabled  as well
    Im living my sin house and no problem for housing benifit 
    My husband 4th april 2021 Esa will stop
    Im taking care'allowence but 4th april will be stop 
    Now from 4th april only pip will come to me
    And my husband 4april will start state pention and pip alredy he is taking
    So our money loss is £800  from 4th april
    Which benifits me and my husband chave to claim which cover my Esa and care's allowance money plz help me thank u 
  • ukonline1
    Thank u calcotti to reply me plz help me thank u dear god bless u
  • calcotti
    My understanding is:

Your husband is 65 gets ESA and PIP. He will be 66 on 4th April. He has been told his ESA will stop on that date.

You are 57. You claim Carer’s Allowance and PIP

I didn’t understand “I’m living sin house and no problem for Housing Benefit.” Do you claim Housing Benefit or do you own your house?

When your husband is 66 he will start getting State Pension. He will lose the ESA but get the SP instead. His PIP will continue, He will not be losing £800/month. Does he know how much his SP will be will be? 

There is no reason for your Carer’s Allowance to stop - why do you think it will?

Does your husband’s ESA  include a Severe Disability Premium? Do you know how much the ESA is?

Sorry for the questions but it is difficult to advise without being clear about your situation.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ukonline1
    Sorry dear my english is not good that's why  you have difficulties to my questions thank u for the reply
    We are living my son house 
    Housing benifit said u can't get housing benefits in  your son's house.
    May be some confusion from my english about care's allowance tomorrow i call them and ask them about care's allounce
    Esa every month giving my husband £603 
    £800 i told you coz i include my carer's allowance which is per week £67.50.
    Now you said about my husband he can get sp instead 
    My husband high disabled from 2012
    Thank you so much you are my helping 
    God bless you

• ukonline1
    I saw now sp instead is about tax return 
    My husband never gave tax 
    Tell me plz he can still apply 
  • ukonline1
    Me again plz dnt block me
    Me again 
     im too worried that's why im writing again and again
    Plz tell me where i can get sp instead form or website im trying but i couldn't reach
    Thank you dear
  • ukonline1
    Sorry by mistake i wrote  wrong 2time me again
     you never blocked me 
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    By SP I meant his State Pension which you confirmed he will be getting. He should have received a letter informing him to claim this. Does he know how much his State Pension will be?

You receive CA because you care for him and he receives PIP. He will still be receiving PIP and you will still be entitled to CA.

So so he will be getting SP and PIP, you will be getting CA and PIP.

You may be entitled to a small amount of Universal Credit. If so you should both claim this before your husband reaches pension age. However I cannot advise whether there will be any entitlement without knowing how much pension he will get. If he gets the full SP of £175.20 the UC entitlement will be very low. However his SP may be more or less than this amount.

• ukonline1
    Thank you for the reply
    State pension £118 will be from  4th april
    Tell me im 57 year disabled can i apply state pension?
    Can i apply Esa?
    Or i have to universal credit? 
    Plz find out for me
    If we do both go to in universal credit how much they give us money i know u can't tell me exect money jusy ruffle idea
    Thank you again you did so much my help

• calcotti
    edited February 2021
    ukonline1 said: Tell me im 57 year disabled can i apply state pension? 
    Not until you reach Sate Pension age which for you will be when you reach 67.
    ukonline1 said: Can i apply Esa? 
    You might qualify for new style ESA if you have a health condition that limits your ability to work. It also depends on your past National Insurance record. However if you were awarded ESA you would no longer be paid Carers Allowance because of 'overlapping' benefit rules. However ESA is worth more than CA.
    ukonline1 said: Or i have to universal credit? 
    To claim UC you would both need to claim. If you are going to claim UC it is important to do so before your husband reaches 66 because this will mean his Work Capability status is transferred from ESA to UC.
    Based on the limited information you have provided I calculate maximum UC entitlement to be
    standard £594.04, LCWRA element £341.92 (equivalent to ESA support group), carer element  £162.92 (because you are carer) = maximum UC amount £1,098.88. This assumes you have no children.
    From this would be deducted your CA £292/50/month and your husband's SP which, at £118/week, is £511.33/month. This would leave UC payable £295.05/month.
    The UC calculation is based on current benefit rates and includes the £87/month temporary increase which may be removed. An announcement is expected on Wednesday as part of the Budget.

If you claimed ESA it would be deducted from the UC payable so there is no financial gain claiming both urless the ESA is worth more than the UC and based on these figures I don't think that is the case.

However I only have limited information. If you have any other income that would reduce the UC payable then ESA could be more advantageous - if you qualified and if you were assessed as being put in the Support Group. However if the difference is slight then being on UC has some advantages because, with no earnings, it gives you access to free prescriptions and dental care which the new style ESA would not.

Just to check - your husband is not expecting any occupational pensions from previous employment?

If you have access to a local advice agency it would be prudent to get a proper benefits check done with someone who can go through your circumstances in detail - but you really need to do this swiftly so that the UC can be claimed before 4th April if that is the right course of action. You will still be able to claim UC at a later date but it would mean that, based on these figures, no UC would be payable for the first three months of the claim.

• ukonline1
    Thank u dear u 
    You r very helpfull for me
    I understand just only we can apply UC ,
     4th april will esa stop what date i have to apply UC
    And how can get my husband full pension  £175.50 ,we have to call or any website? 
    So many times i callsd avvise beuro
    Their phone in answer machine i left msg but no reply

• ukonline1
    What is Lcwra? Thanks
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    ukonline1 said:  4th april will esa stop what date i have to apply UC
    As already advised, if you are going to apply for UC you should do it before 4th April. 
    ukonline1 said: And how can get my husband full pension  £175.50 ,
    The amount of pension depends on his national insurance record. You said that he has been told his pension will be £118. 
    ukonline1 said:
    What is Lcwra? Thanks
    As already advised, it is the UC equivalent of the ESA Support Group. It stands for Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity. The LCWRA element will be included in the UC calculation from the start provided the claim is made before 4th April.

All of this is based on the limited information you have provided. If possible you should check with a local advice agency.
  • ukonline1
    Thank u o much
    God bless u

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.