Advice needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice needed

Options
anxiousbird
anxiousbird Community member Posts: 165 Pioneering
hi all
so I called DWP and asked them about my report and guess what, the assessor has given me zero points on everything. So now I have a few questions: 
1) as mentioned before, the assessor hadn’t received my additional evidence at the time of assessment, shall I send in a letter to the Decision maker NOW to mention this and draw their attention to the new evidence before they make a final decision? 
2) the assessor did not ask me ANY questions relating to dressing or variability neither did he ask the other ‘generic’ questions they typically ask at the assessments. I recorded the whole phone call on my recorder; shall I mention any of this NOW before the Decision maker makes the decision? Will this be counted as MR? And is it worth it?
3) in general, you can see from the recording of the phone call that the assessor rushed things a lot and I didn’t get a chance to speak in detail about my issues. Naive me took it as a possibility that because I had filled in my PIP form in such detail including anecdotal evidence and letters from my husband (carer) and my mother (a medical doctor herself), that he didn’t need any further information. Can I object to this is any way? Pre-MR? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know Mike doesn’t like to be tagged but I’d be grateful if he could also offer some guidance in this regards. 

You think you’ll feel more angry or upset than anything after hearing you’ve been awarded zero points but in reality I just feel like crying and screaming. Here I am crippled, not able to do even the basic tasks, isolated, suffering through the illness for the past 8 years and the evidence all showing that, and then there comes some random person you’ve never met , who talks to you for under 45 mins and declares that you’re lying and that there’s nothing wrong with you. I know I shouldn’t take it to heart but how can you possibly not!

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear that.  :(

I don't think the decision maker would receive a written letter in time - but if you can phone them that may be worth a try.  It's still worth focussing on where you should score points, rather than how poorly the assessment was carried out though.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @anxiousbird

I'm sorry to hear about your report and understand how you must be feeling 

While you need to wait for decision before mr you can prepare what you would want to put in . Also the DM should take all evidence into account not just the report so personally I would agree there is no harm in writing a letter 

Dont get too concerned about what assessor didnt ask they dont always go through each point especially if your form was detailed 

Hopefully Mike will respond 

I cant remember was this a review ot new claim 
  • anxiousbird
    anxiousbird Community member Posts: 165 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks for your replies @OverlyAnxious and @janer1967 . It was a fresh claim :) 
    am I allowed to speak to a decision maker over the phone? What number do I need to ring for this and do I have to wait some time before I do this or shall I do it straight away? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You would have to wait till it has been assigned to a DM but you should have one 

You just call the normal number and ask to speak to them but dont expect to get through may be a call back 

However you should always put it in writing so you have back up recording the call is an option but unless they agree to it you cant use the recording for anything the same with you recording assessment 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @anxiousbird sorry to hear this, have you asked for a copy of the assessors report? You need to wait for a DM to make a decision then you can put in an MR , concentrating on where you didn't score points but you think you should have.
    There is always a slim chance that a DM will not follow the assessment, that's why you have to wait.
    Keep us updated.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.