Hi, my name is simon1234! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is simon1234!

simon1234
simon1234 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi all, 
This is my first post, I've been using the forums as a point of reference thought my new pip claim and have found them extremely helpful, I just thought I'd share my pip journey so far, hopefully it may help others.
I first applied for pip on the 2nd October 2020 and had my telephone assessment on the 22nd of February 2021, long wait but I guess that was due to covid bottle necks.
Although I was extremely anxious about the assessment, the lady from IAS rang at the time stated and the assessment took just over 1 1/2 hours. She did seem to understand my conditions and how they affect me on a daily basis, I may be reading too much into that, guess I'll find out when I see my report.
She did asked a couple of odd questions and asked the same question twice, but asked a few other things in-between, probably checking for consistency in my answers.
I received a txt from the dwp 2 days after my assessment, saying they had received my report from IAS and would be in touch with a decision in due course. 
I rang them the next day to ask for a copy of my report and they agreed without question, maybe I just got lucky with that.
So I'm on the last lap and waiting for the assessment report and the decision. 
I'll hopefully be able to give a positive update shortly.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great and thanks for sharing with us 

Goad you have posted and look forward to seeing you around and hearing your outcome 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @simon1234 and a warm welcome to scope, there is no reason why they wouldn't send you a copy of the assessment and it should give you an idea of the award, I say should because the final decision is down to the DWP decision maker, although they usually go with the report.
    Perhaps you could come back to us and let us know how it's gone?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• simon1234
    Thanks for the warm welcome.
    I'll keep you updated, hopefully not too long to wait now, well unless things go against me.
  • simon1234
    Hello again, just thought I would post an update.
    I received my assessment report in the post and was given 8 points for care and 10 points for mobility, so standard rate for both elements. Whilst I agree with most of the care side of it, apart from I need help with my medication and refilling my doset box.
    I don't agree with the mobility bit as I was given 0 points for planning a journey, truth is I only go out if someone is with me, I've stopped driving, because I don't feel safe doing it. Some has to take me to all of my appointments and support me because of my limited mobility and that's the only time I go out.
    Lastly, I had 10 points for moving around, when I quite clearly stated on my original claim form that I couldn't walk more than 20 meters without stopping and resting, due to the pain in my legs and getting breathless etc. The assessor decided I could walk up to 50 meters, I didn't state that in my assessment. 
    I probably should mention that on my original claim form my medical diagnosis was 2 heart attacks, both needed stents fitted and intermittent claudication (narrowed arteries) in my legs, also unexplained abdominal pain and low mood, but never been formally diagnosed with anxiety or depression, I've since been diagnosed with an aortic aneurism and a rare form of vasculitis, i did update the dwp with all the new information, but apparently they failed to pass it on to the IAS. I'm  currently on steroids, which have caused more issues with all the side affects. I've been told that I will have the vasculitis for life as there is no cure.
    Sorry for rambling on a bit, I guess my question is really, although I haven't had the final decision yet, it's likely to be the same, would it be worthwhile asking for a mandatory reconsideration, to hopefully get the 2 extra points needed for the enhanced mobility component Also the chances of the decision being changed, I'm hoping to get a support letter from my rheumatology consultant, stating my mobility levels, would this help?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,  it's my first time claiming pip and have found it a bit overwhelming at times.
    Thanks.
  • janer1967
    Hi thanks for the update 

They normally go with report but you dont know yet and DM may change. 

That being said if you want to go for mr at least you can start to prepare 

As you are probably aware PIP isnt about diagnosis more how you are affected so additional diagnosis isnt really applicable 

Most mr come back with same decision so then it would be tribunal so only you can decide about appealing 
  • simon1234
    Thanks for your response janer1967
    I think my main disagreement is that on my claim form I clearly stated the distance I could walk before pain stops me in my tracks, hence the need for more support from family and friends and the assessor has conjured up a different distance, even tho I didn't say this in the assessment. 
    Like you say, I haven't had the final decision yet, so I'll decide what to do after that.
    Part of me wants this whole thing over and done with, well at least until the next review. But part of me thinks they got things wrong in the assessment, so I should challenge that on principle alone.
    One other thing, is the award length of 2 years, from the start of the claim or the date of the final decision?

Thanks in advance. 
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

Tge award length again is only recommendation and could be changed tho they are usually 2 years for first claim 

However the review process starts 6 months b4 award end date so it doesmt seem long till it all comes round again 
    I'm not 100% sure when start date us but as you get back pay to when claim was first applied for then I would presume this is start date 

I understand you disagree with the 1 element but any appeal will look at the whole award 

Try and wait for decision and not worry about it till you have to 

• simon1234
    My claim started on 2nd October last year, so I'm guessing back pay will be awarded from then.
    Believe me I'm trying not to worry about it, just a bit frustrated how long the whole process takes.
    I suppose the government's wheels normally turn slowly lol.
  • janer1967
    Yes it will be backdated to when you applied 

It does take a long time to complete even in normal times but with lots backlogs as well to deal with and staff working from home or being off has made it even worse 
  • simon1234
    Yea I know the pandemic has caused bottlenecks in lots of places, hopefully I'm on the last lap for now, so I'll just sit on my hands for a while longer.
    Thanks for your advice, it really is invaluable, I just with I'd found this site back when I first applied for pip.
  • janer1967
    Your welcome 

Let us know the outcome 

Brightness