ESA & Partner moving in advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA & Partner moving in advice

Rose82
Rose82 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
Hey everyone, i was really just hoping for some advice if possible please 

so i currently live alone but partner is going to most likely end up moving in with me

i'm currently on ESA support group and currently receive the SPD i'm also in receipt of enhanced PIP rates 

i'm aware that if my partner moves in i would loose the SDP as i would no longer be living alone, but from what i've read loosing the SDP and my partner moving in wouldn't trigger the need to claim UC 

my partner isn't in reciept of any benefits and isn't disabled however from reading if he moved in with me and was working i would loose my esa support group housing benefit etc, 

my partner has said they would give up employment to move in with me if that meant we could be together and finacially still survive   
so from what i've read my partner would be entiled to make a claim for carers allowance once he begins providing 35 hours of care or more per week, so if we were to move in together and i phone to report the my partner is now living with me and no longer in employment and isn't employed. In theory with or without claiming carers allowance i can just state he isn't in employment or looking for work as he care's for me, while i know he wouldn't be able to be added to my ESA support group claim as he isn't disabled that wouldn't effect my claim? once they take off the SDP what is left can then be used to support me and my partner with living costs

i used the benefits calculator and currently esa is roughly around £397 every 2 weeks
housing benefit and council tax is paid for 
and then i get my enhanced pip every 4 weeks 

when i ran through the benefits calculator if my partner moves in claiming no benefits and employment status being caring for a sick/disabled person it stated esa support group would then be £360 every 2 weeks, 

so just really to clarify this is possible to do isn't it?

many thanks in advanced 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    If they move in, you must inform ESA. Your ESA will then be calculated as a couple. You will get the couple standard allowance rather than the single person allowance. As you day you will lose the SDP.

If they claim CA you will get a carer premium added to your ESA but the CA they receive will be deducted from your ESA.

Does your partner have any savings? If more than £6,000 between you that will reduce your benefit entitlement. More than £16,000 and your means tested benefits will end.

Overall I would expect that with ESA and CA you would be getting about £45/week more than just your ESA at the moment. I haven’t done a calculation to check it but that seems to be what your calculator calculation is saying.

I would not expect your Housing Benefit to change.

you will need to tell Council Tax and will lose your single person discount. If you are getting Council Tax Reduction that will increase with the increased Council Tax liability.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Rose82
    hey calcotti thank you very much for the responce i really appreicate it, 

my partner doesn't have any savings, but just to double check i wouldn't of thought my partner would've been able to be added to my claim as they aren't disabled and wouldn't want putting into a work related catagory or anything like that as they wouldn't be looking at going back to work due to taking up my caring needs and that i would loose my benefits if they went to work so that wouldn't be a possiblity, also given that the old style of ESA doesn't exsist anymore and has been replaced with a work focuses tax credits equvilent wouldn't trying to claim as a couple in my pre exsisting income related support group claim and my partner not being in receipt of benefits or being disabled and would have only just left their job trigger if they move in then force a switch over to universal credit given that the old style of esa doesn't exsist anymore being a legacy benefit? 

i didn't think they'd add my partner to my claim if they move in as from a generalised standpoint they wouldn't of been entitled to it given they are not disabled? 

according to the calculator housing benefit states it will stay the same i think they'll automatically still pay some form of council tax benefit just they'll likely be more to make up every month additionally to put towards it, 

just to clarify if my partner was to move in and not claim carers allowance instantly i can still say my partner is not looking for work as they are caring for me, so aren't looking for employment or jobseekers allowance etc and then eventually in time put a claim in for carers allowance, kind regards 
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    Rose82 said:... i wouldn't of thought my partner would've been able to be added to my claim as they aren't disabled ...
    For means tested benefits if you are part of a couple the benefit entitlement is worked out on joint circumstances. They will not be claiming ESA and will not be a claimant but ESA have to be informed so that your ESA can be calculated as a couple. Apologies if ‘added to’ confused the issue, perhaps I should have said so that your claim can be converted to a couple claim.

if they move in but do not claim Carer’s Allowance you must still inform ESA and it will be be recalculated based on your joint circumstances. If they are working that might end your ESA claim depending on hours and income. Do you know if any of your ESA is contribution based?

They will not be expected to do anything as a partner on your ESA claim because they are not the claimant.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Rose82
    Ahh ok thank you I understand that side of things now I thought it meant he would've been added as a active claimant from your initial message, my partner is working however if he moves in with me he will be handing in his notice and leaving his job entirely as I cannot work due to disability and if we were to live together and he worked we couldn't live together as I would loose my esa so he said he will leave employment indefinitely to move in with me so we can live together, non of my esa is contribution based, 

For example hyperphetically if my partner was to move in next Wednesday hand in his notice tomorrow he's currently furloughed due to covid if he's due anymore money from handing in his notice would that indefinitely mess up my benefits ESA claim if under furlough they assed his final pay check as being anything over 16hours? 
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    He is still employed until his employment ends. A partner can work up to 24 hours without ending your entitlement to ESA but their earnings will be deducted from your ESA (less a £20 disregard).

The 16 hour permitted work rules not relevant for a partner.
  • Rose82
    ahh ok thank you so just to clarify that's 24 hours per week? 

and if he was to move in for example later on this week i'll have one month to inform esa that my partner has moved in, it's just with my partner being furloughed at the moment i think they're paying him slightly more then general so if he was to hand in his notice and move in with me i'd have to make sure it didn't be worked out at him working more then 16/24 hours per week wage before he was to move in otherwise i'd loose my esa despite he will have handed in notice to leave employment permently, thank you for all the advice as well calcotti i really appreiciate it :') 
  • calcotti
    Rose82 said:
    ahh ok thank you so just to clarify that's 24 hours per week? 
    Yes, 24 hours/week - but as I said, the earnings will reduce your ESA.
    Rose82 said:.. i'll have one month to inform esa that my partner has moved in, 
    You should tell them as soon as he moves in. The basis of you claim changes on the day you become a couple.
  • Rose82
    ahh ok thank you well if me and my partner decide to move in together it's a massive help to know what i need to do thank you for all the advice i really appreciate it :) 
  • Rose82
    can i just clarify if my partner who is furloughed puts in written notice that they want to terminate employment handing in their notice prior to moving in would their employment end when they get the last furlough payment for the amount of hours they would've worked or just from the day he said his last work day would be/ or employment ended confirmed by the company sorry for all the questions i've never had to deal with anything like this before and i'm just really confused im just trying to figure this all out before me and my partner decide if to live together then i know what i need to do 
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    When they wish to end their employment they will have to give notice in accordance with the terms of their contract. The last day of employment will be whatever is agreed with the employer. If their last pay is received after that, which maybe the case, I’m not sure how that will be treated by ESA.

When you inform ESA about your partner they will ask about employment status and earnings. Do you know how much they take home at the moment?
  • calcotti
    edited March 2021
    Reviewed the numbers.
    Your existing ESA is £197.60/week (including SDP).
    If your partner moves in with no income you lose the SDP and ESA drops to £180.50/week.
    If your partner moves in and is claiming CA our combined ESA and CA will be £218/week (ESA £150.75 and CA £67.25). Only £20 more than your existing income (not the £45 I suggested in an earlier post - apologies for that).

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.