Unwanted impractical gifts — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unwanted impractical gifts

janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
Hi all 

After a recent post about gifts thought I would start this one 

What is the most unwanted or impractical gift you have had . And on a positive what is the most treasured gift you have had 

As in my other post my bf had a gift delivered for me and no not usual delivery of flowers like other gf get . It was a step ladders which isnt romantic and even worse not very practical when I only have 1 leg. Bless him 

My most treasured gift is a build a bear from my son all dressed with top saying to best mom in the world 

Share yours with us here 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Senior management aunt used to but us all sorts of rubbish for xmas, the worst being pizza cutters, neither of us eats pizza.
    As for treasured gift, a couple of years before he died my dad gave me a collection of 5 watches which had been in the family for many years, including my grandads wrist watch a 21st present in 1931, and a solid silver pocket watch from 1871, and a WW1 pocket watch.They all work and I wore my grandads watch at my dads funeral.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    The most unwanted gift was  a snake in a glass tank I don't know what my brother was thinking lol my most treasured gift that money cant buy are my children and my family nothing else comes close
  • janer1967
    @lisathomas50 a snake omg I would have had a panic attack 

@woodbine what a lovely tribute to your dad and grandfather 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 my brother gave it me because he didn't want it either lol

The snake was re homed in the end ? lol
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    I guess I am lucky to have never been given a gift that I didn’t want or that was impractical.

Even things I wouldn’t buy myself have been gratefully received and a use has been found for them.

One of my best gifts I think must have been my first computer and later, my first laptop, both given by one of my grandparents, these opened up a whole world to me.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    My worst ever present was a mop bucket as mentioned on another thread.
    My best presents are a pair of tiny gold sleeper earrings that my son bought me when he was about 8 out of money he'd saved up for christmas.
    I've never been able to wear them as he'd bought child size ones that wouldn't go round my ear lobes.
    Years later he said 'you never wore those earrings I got you" 
    I got them out of the box and showed him that they would never have fitted but I didnt have the heart to tell him at the time....but I've kept them for over twenty years. He laughed about it afterwards.
    My other best pressy was a soft toy bought by my eldest when I was in hospital 

• Ziadawn
    Ziadawn Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    My boyfriends cousins mum used to send us  naff gifts.  One Christmas she sent a cat ornament that had chips, and the charity sticker still attached to it We don't have cats only dogs.  The final straw was getting a DVD called how to kill your neighbours dog.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    My poor old mum was never any good at buying presents, they were always too short, too long, too big or too small, the wrong colour or fashion. We always accepted them without saying anything of course, she meant well. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm often bought outdoor clothes...ideal for an agoraphobic!   ;)   Admittedly, I do use them, just not to their full potential lol.

Also get magazines quite often...I've never bought a magazine in my life.  there's not really anything I'm interested in enough to bother.  And I have some vision/concentration issues so just tend to read small segments online.  Not to mention that half of a magazine seems to be adverts!  I feel quite guilty for people having spent the money on them!  It's not even like a book that could be re-gifted or donated to charity.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @OverlyAnxious drs surgery's useless take them off you and hospitals I took a load of magazines  to the surgery not long ago 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    @janer1967 I kinda regift if I get something I don't like or want or need, I rewrap it for someone else, I'll even keep it all year till Xmas to do that lol. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I can't remember what the items were, but we donated a few to a charity raffle. Bought tickets for the raffle.... ended up winning them back!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Girlfriend once got me some pink fairy wings and a wand for Christmas. Safe to say the family got a huge laugh out of it when I put them on.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Ross_Scope now that is cool lol  love it 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope now that is cool lol  love it 
    I've still got them somewhere I think, many many years after the event :D 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Ross_Scope it's a happy memory and when you come across them you will remember and ?
  • janer1967
    I was fed up of buying boring presents so one year I bought all my family members a toy or game with their main present 

However they all loved them so much I now do it every year . After all I think it's great to get something I wouldn't buy for myself 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    My Dad gave me a very expensive electronic piano once. I hadn't played in years, was in the middle of a very intense degree, and I had to take it back across the border, so I ended up paying customs on it. :/

Brightness