What are your thoughts on today's budget? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are your thoughts on today's budget?

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 2021 in Coffee lounge

This afternoon Chancellor Rishi Sunak has delivered his latest budget to the House of Commons.  Setting out the government's financial plans for the year ahead, his words were widely anticipated as many people continue to struggle through the fallout of the coronavirus pandemic.  

In this thread, @Woodbine shared that the Universal Credit uplift of £20 a week will continue for the next 6 months and those on tax credits will get a one-off payment of £500.  But what other nuggets of importance did you take away from today's budget?

Photo capturing the top of Big Ben

What's the lowdown?

This BBC news article lists key points of interest as including:

• Government to continue paying 80% of employees' wages for hours they cannot work
  • Employers to be asked to contribute 10% in July and 20% in August and September
  • Support for the self-employed also to be extended until September
  • 600,000 more self-employed people will be eligible for help as access to grants is widened
  • Minimum wage to increase to £8.91 an hour from April
Whilst those wanting to buy their first home might take comfort from the announcement that the government is backing a new 95% mortgage scheme. 

Over to you:

• What are your thoughts? 
  • Do you think those on legacy benefits should also have received the £20 uplift? 
  • Has the budget gone far enough?
Let us know in the comments below :)
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    It sounded fair considering how much has been spent recently.
    there is just one thing, having never done economics I don’t understand who exactly we’ve borrowed billions from which need to be paid back? If it’s the IMF then where do they get their money from?

ok, I’ve answered my one question and if any one else is interested then the answer can be found here
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50504151

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cher_Scope can you check that it's 20.00 a week  for uc uplift as if that's the case I am owed money my uc only went up by 20.00 a month thank you 
  • Cher_Alumni
    edited March 2021
    @lisathomas50 Yep it's definitely weekly.  Taken from the Government website:
    • Six-month extension of the £20 per week Universal Credit uplift in Great Britain, with the Northern Ireland Executive receiving additional funding to match the increase. A one-off payment of £500 to eligible Working Tax Credit claimants across the UK.

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @lisathomas50 yes it is definitely per week mine went up bu over £80 per month due to it being paid calendar month and not weekly 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Then I am owed money my support worker has just looked I haven't had any uplift payments at all the 20.00 extra I though was me finishing my loan repayments  
  • Lisatho11987777
    Thank you everyone 
  • janer1967
    Sounds like you need to give them a call 

It should show as extra on your basic allowance if you check your statements 

Compare statements from last feb against this feb 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Meh, I'm on enhanced PIP, will I get the extra 20 quid a week?

Only UC I’m afraid. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 checked all my statements uc are going to check now as they can't find any up lift payments 

Will I get it back dated or will I have lost out and only start from next month please and thank you ?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @lisathomas50 if it has been missed off then it should be back dated, have to say it would be the first time I have heard of it being missed though. The monthly payment would be an additional £87
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    @janer1967 checked all my statements uc are going to check now as they can't find any up lift payments 

Will I get it back dated or will I have lost out and only start from next month please and thank you ?
    How much does your standard allowance say on your statement?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Then I am owed money my support worker has just looked I haven't had any uplift payments at all the 20.00 extra I though was me finishing my loan repayments  
    I don't see how you can have missed out on this. You may be misunderstanding your UC payment statement. The extra £20 doesn't appear as a separate entitlement - it is included within the 'standard allowance' figure which was increased by an extra £86.67/month. I don't think it would be possible for DWP to do a UC calculation which did not include this.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Hi @lisathomas50

If you're on a single claim and receiving £409.89 a month as your standard allowance then you will have received the uplift. 

• Lisatho11987777
    @calcotti my money hasn't changed since last April uc have said there is no uplift payments on my claim. Its being looked into  
  • Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 409.00 I have gone back as far as April 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    @lisathomas50, £409.89 is the UC amount including the £20 uplift. Without the uplift your standard allowance would be £323.22 a month.

It’s also my understanding that it’s handled automatically by their computer system so it’s not possible for someone not to be receiving it.

As you’ve confirmed your UC standard allowance is £409.89 a month, you’ve already confirmed you’re receiving the uplift. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Cher_Scope so has the uplift been going a year already as I have 409.00 since last April 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    £409.89 is the single personal allowance that includes the £20 uplift. Compare it to the amount in your February and March 2020 statements and you'll notice the difference.
    You'll also notice the difference when the amounts drop again in October!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    I hot my first uplift in my may payment as I get paid at beginning of month so didnt get it till may 

As everyone has said the amount you are getting includes the uplift 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Thats that solved then !  B)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness