Feel Like A Rant! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feel Like A Rant!

Options
Ziadawn
Ziadawn Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
When talking to family, and relations or others about money issues.  Some one always says a friend has a friend who gets more money because they act the part when they don't have much wrong with them.  And that we should go talk with the benefits people. Fed up of explaining as a couple we cannot claim any thing else, without money being taken off the other.  Do people really think that we did not spend 3 hours at the benefits place checking our info?

Fed up in supermarkets of my fella being called my brother or treated as my carer a few times.  He has a head injury, and I have Scoliosis.

Fed up of people thinking the disabled work only in charity shops for free.

Why do they allow us to work all day in a charity shop for free as permitted work.  But put a limit on other work hours?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The truth is that know one knows exactly how much anybody else gets in benefits as many cases differ, as a couple you are treated as just that.
    There is no limit on working hours for anybody, but obviously depending on which benefits you claim it can affect them in different ways, my daughter has a good job that pays reasonable money but because she gets help with rent and childcare cost she still gets some UC.

Having said all that it's always good to have a rant ! :)

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ziadawn
    Options
    I should have said that we are both on ESA  which allows permitted work.  But it says we can only do 16 hours a week.

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello all reading the comments I’ve only been disabled since 2016 five years now and can only get about on a mobility scooter. Since being disabled I can honestly say I’ve never had any rude comments or remarks made about my disability or inability, I’ve been honest may be to honest when people ask personal questions. I tell them as it is bluntly, I don’t want or expect their pity many say you look well, cope ok, at least you get out and about. Other dog walkers have become friends and others also many offer help if I ever need any. If someone annoys me seldom dose happen, you don’t look disabled I reply you don’t look ignorant but you are and move on.
  • Ziadawn
    Options
    I used to be on Universal Credit and every week I had to go to the local Jobcentre.  I got to stand in line then go show the list of jobs I was interested in then I had to go look on the 1 pc they had.  I never got to use it there was always a guy staring at the screen.  I had to go to a session once or I would lose my benefit.  We got offered a course to learn how to look for jobs on a pc, and in a paper.  I do all this at home on my pc.  The session went down hill when the women said she worked at Armley jail, and the guy with dreadlocks suggested she was a inmate.  I was glad to sign to say I went then left.

Brightness