Funeral payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Funeral payments

dannygent
dannygent Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello everyone hope your all keeping safe*** I have been refused funeral payments to help bury my father who sadly passed away in december.  The dwp turned me down because one of my brothers who is severely I'll with sickle cell  and has gout and  needs another hip replacement is working   has had contact with my dad that's their reason. I am deeply disappointed and depressed at their decison and I'm appealing.   Any advice and guidance would be appreciate .    Thank you al .  Kemi

Comments

• dannygent
    dannygent Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I think their actions are disgraceful dad had dementia. And was seriously  I'll  and  had to be put in a care home , I'm appealing against their mandatory reconsideration notice.   How can they expect a terminally I'll person to pay for a funeral when that person is constantly in and out of hospital and is on constant  medication and pain killer . This dosent make any fair sense.        
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I am sorry for your loss and having this to deal with as well 

I'm not familiar with the criteria or eligibility for funeral payments but hopefully other members may be 

You may also get some advice from welfare rights 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @dannygent

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry for your loss.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Unfortunately they are just applying the eligibility criteria to the circumstances. 

It does state if another sibling is working then you may not be eligible. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,015 Pioneering
    @dannygent sorry for your loss. Some funeral directors do payment plans where you can pay in instalments if you cannot get help elsewhere. 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    Funeral grants used to be pretty straightforward but like most benefits things have changed. Sorry for your loss and following problems.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness