Hi, help needed please on ESA and working and studying part time and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, help needed please on ESA and working and studying part time and PIP

Options
samantham06
samantham06 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi everyone my names sam.

I get ESA support group income related and contribution based. I got approval for studying part time with the open uni for (they say) 18 hours. But I rarely do this. I struggle. This is as I get PIP high rate on both

Pip have said it's ok to work 3 evenings a week despite getting high rate mobility for needing assistance to go out when bad. As my conditions are variable. I find this hard to believe. But spoke to a decision maker today. Said I was going out more alone but she said if I continued to improve then ring up after 18 months of stability as I might get bad again.

ESA I'm having a nightmare with. I'm due to start 12 hours a week work tomorrow. I cant find anywhere online if you can do this permitted work alongside studying I've already been approved for? Could someone help please? And what can I quote them if needed? Expecting a battle.

I mean, it's unlikely il stick to it. But want to try. 

Will they lower my award? They said they may not till next year for new assessment. But you never know.

Very stressed and worried.

Thankyou 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @samantham06

Welcome to the community, I hope you are well.

I hope your studies are going well, and it's great to hear you're starting some work. 

The benefits system can be quite complicated when you are a student, but I would assume that the DWP would judge your permitted work and study separately. An important factor would be if the work and study contradict the reasons for which you are claiming. 

I would suggest contacting the Disability Rights UK student helpline.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • samantham06
    samantham06 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi there, what sort of things would it contradict please? 

With pip I would be going alone 3 evenings a week, but its 5 minutes up the road. And may not do much the rest of the week 

Mines for mental health not physical if that makes a difference? So its variable. But other groups have scared me saying it will prove I'm stable doing 3 nights a week. 

If I even stick to it. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.