Unsuitable housing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unsuitable housing

Charlotte2019
Charlotte2019 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Good evening everyone. 
I have ehlers danlos syndrome, a connective tissue disorder. The main symptom which effects my life is dislocations/partial dislocations. I have been a walking stick user for many years but since having children In 2018  and 2020 my hip problems have escalated. Fast forward I know use crutches and in autumn last year I was prescribed a wheelchair by my local wheelchair service to help me obviously with the dislocations and pain but also to keep the amount of opiate medication to a minimum as I'm only 27. The problem is I live in a 3rd floor flat with no lift. 

In 2017 when my flat first became unsuitable I registered with the council to bid, I have kept the up to date with how my condition has worsened but I'm still waiting years later and my situation has become unbearable. Using my wheelchair around the home is almost impossible and I obviously cannot carry it down 3 flights of stairs with 2 small children. I have contacted citizens advice who said as I am in band A which is the highest they avn offer there's nothing more anyone can do. 

Yesterday I'd run out of food and was stuck in my flat unable to get out and I worry about a fire and am sick of looking out the window and feeling like a prisoner. 

Can anyone offer me any advice I am desperate. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @Charlotte2019 good evening and a warm welcome to scope, it's difficult if you are already in band A, all you can do is keep bidding on suitable properties, the problem for most councils is a long waiting list and too few properties, would renting privately be an option for you?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Charlieniblett
    Charlieniblett Community member Posts: 54 Connected
    It may be worth getting a referral for an occupational therapist home assessment. They can make recommendations to your local housing association for level access,etc.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Even getting a ot assessment wont help if you are already in band a as this us highest priority banding 

Unfortunately the only higher priority is homeless 

There is a organisation called shelter who offer housing advice but again deal mainly with homeless 

It may be worth contacting your local mp see if they can help 
  • richardg
    richardg Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    I had the same problem I suffer from osteoarthritis and cancer I was put in bad a took ages spoke to my doctor who got out to chase council up and within a month I was moved hope this helps
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    The entire housing stock in the country has virtually no wheelchair user's homes.   The solution, obviously,  is never to give any more building consents for non wheelchair liveable  housing.    
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Hello @Charlotte2019

Welcome to the community, thanks for joining. 

Sorry to hear you're struggling with this at the moment, Unfortunately as CAB have advised there is little that can be done when you are already in band A. Although if you felt as though you needed additional care and support due to your circumstances, a local authority social care needs assessment may add extra weight to your request to be moved.

Are you receiving any support like that at the minute from your local authority? And have you spoken with your GP to make sure you are getting all the support you need?

If you ever want to talk things through verbally, Scope's helpline is always there to call.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Hi @charlotte2019 :) How are you doing? I'm sorry to hear that the housing you're in isn't suitable. 

I understand that the problem is wider than this, but are you able to get food delivered by a supermarket? This could help to combat the food problem. 

Please do take a look at the above replies, and let us know your thoughts. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Charlotte2019 Hello there.  I'm just checking-in to see how you are and if you've heard anything from the council yet about your housing situation?  Also, how are things food wise?  I hope you're managing but if you aren't please do let us know.  We'd love to help and I have everything crossed that you have positive news about a new home soon. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Charlotte2019
    Charlotte2019 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi everyone. 
    Thank you for your comments, 
    So on Monday I received a letter saying I have been accepted for a managment move through my housing association. 
    I'm not sure on the process if, anyone knows if appreciate ay advice. 
    I do try to order food online, and sometimes get caught out and run out of essentials. 

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Hi everyone. 
    Thank you for your comments, 
    So on Monday I received a letter saying I have been accepted for a managment move through my housing association. 
    I'm not sure on the process if, anyone knows if appreciate ay advice. 
    I do try to order food online, and sometimes get caught out and run out of essentials. 

Morning, 

A management move, or a managed transfer as its also known, is an agreement whereby you will be allowed to move properties with the assistance of the housing association. This can take place for many reasons. 

Im going through a managed transfer for different reasons, but it often means you will get a higher priority. 

Housing associations seem to work differently, but they will often work with you to find a suitable alternative home, however you do have to bear in mind they can only offer you what they have available, so if they are not suitable, it can still take a little time to sort it because any other properties that were to become available depends when other tenants move out. 

Brightness