Hi to all. My so-called friend said that I didn't need my walking sticks. What do you think? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi to all. My so-called friend said that I didn't need my walking sticks. What do you think?

Options
Sparklebright63
Sparklebright63 Scope Member Posts: 182 Courageous
I just do not understand it I met with a so called friend this afternoon with one of my walking sticks as I would need the other hand for the basket I went into shop picked up what I wanted to buy put the basket down and I lost my grip and my basket contents went on to the floor a nice lady picked them back up for me and I said thankyou.

Anyway after paying for my goods I left my walking stick at the chashiers went back for it and met a friend out side who said immediately 
I do not need a walking stick or sticks she does not have my body and medical conditions so it not up to her she does not have a say in what I do or don't do.

I will do what is best for me and what I have been advised to do for my health no one is dictating to me.

What do uou think.

Sparklebright63.

Comments

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
        I think she is not a friend at all and shouldn't pass judgement. You do what you feel you need to and don't worry about what others think.
  • Sparklebright63
    Options
    Hi Vivkingqueen

Thankyou for your reply a very true answer.

Sparklebright63.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
       People are far to quick to judge others without knowing all the facts, I have a hidden illness and even the likes of my daughter-in-law doubt how ill I can get. Just ignore the ignorant and get on with your life.
  • Sparklebright63
    Options
    Yes so very true I just think the friend who I thought was a friend obviously isn't but is jealous of me in some way proberbly because I've achieved something she's not so I will do what I want from now on its my life my body and no one is in control but me.

Sparklebright63
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened @Sparklebright63. As you say, you know your body best, and there's nothing wrong with using aids or equipment to support you in getting around.

I understand what she said might have been upsetting, so you don't have to talk to her about it if you don't want to, but have you had a conversation with her? It could be that she doesn't understand why you might need your sticks. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Sparklebright63
    Options
    Hi Tori

I have explained to her but because she lives her life differant to me she dosnt like how I am but I am not going to stop doing what is best for me or my health because of other people's opinions.

Sparklebright63
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think you do what you feel is right for you.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sparklebright63
    Options
    Hi woodbine 

Thankyou for your answer I  going to do.

Sparklebright63.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Seems a bit of a weird thing to say to anyone seriously.  I wonder if she meant it in a light/joking sort of way?

If not, what difference would it make to her?
  • Sparklebright63
    Options
    The difference it would make to her is the fact that she had a knee problem last year and was told not to use her walking sticks a lot of the time and because I have differant conditions to her and I have been told to use mine she dosnt like it.

Sparklebright63.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That must be tricky @Sparklebright63, but yes you should definitely do what's right for you and your health.

I hope your friend's knee gets better soon too :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Sparklebright63
    Options
    My friends knee is fine now she dosnt like how I am changing my life to be healthier and do what I want to do and because I have lost weight by walking I just don't understand why she is so negative.....

Sparklebright63
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The difference it would make to her is the fact that she had a knee problem last year and was told not to use her walking sticks a lot of the time and because I have differant conditions to her and I have been told to use mine she dosnt like it.

Sparklebright63.
    Ah, I see.  That makes a bit more sense.  I have heard the same advice after knee ops before. 

Looks like it's just the typical ignorance that we see in all aspects of life unfortunately.  A lot of people seem to believe there is only ever one 'correct' way to do anything.  Conveniently, it's always their way...  :D

Maybe she's jealous of you losing weight and being healthier?  I wouldn't take too much notice of what she said tbh.  Just ignore it and move on. If you want to remain friends and she says it again just let her know you're doing what you think best, as we all have the right to do.  :)
  • Sparklebright63
    Options
    Hi to you.

Thankyou for your answer.

Sparklebright63
  • Sparklebright63
    Options
    Hi there my sticks are medically recommended I have the coopers ones given by the phyiso on Friday as recommended by my gp she has no right to judge me.

Sparklebright63.

Brightness