my friends PIP award on appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

my friends PIP award on appeal

davegregson40
davegregson40 Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
Dear Community Members 
I would like to share the fact that my friend who I had helped with his PIP appeal has now won on appeal, he had his hearing over the phone and got the letter within two days. What certainly helped my friend was the extra medical evidence put in and the letters and the fact that there was upset at the original decision by Atos, who didn't take the disability and impact of the mental health condition into account and the assessor was not medically qualified as many of us know already

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    @davegregson40 ,Well done and thank you for sharing with the community it always a difficult time going to an MR and maybe taking it all the way to a tribunal. But you won and it has proved that if you believe your award was wrongly awarded then making an MR and onto tribunal if needed is and can result in a positive outcome.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great news glad for your friend 

Nobody really knows what helped his decision change unless the tribunal state why 

Also assessors are not trained un specific disabilities but are usually from a medical background like physios and paramedics 
  • dawny63
    dawny63 Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
    That's  great  news  for your friend.  Unfortunately  my husband's  mandatory  reconsideration  stays  at 0points.  Just applied  for  tribunal. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.