Census form — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Census form

cupcake88
cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
edited March 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hi there I just got a census form in the post never heard of one before but apparently each house hold has to fill one out . I’m really confused I’m going to have my partner fill it out it’s so confusing they ask so many questions bout work when I don’t work I’m guessing there’s a disabled box you can tick . What is it I don’t like booklets work so many questions in is it a government thing or like a survey . 
They also ask bout qualifications like what GCSEs I got which I can’t remember . 
Tagged:

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cupcake88

The census is compulsory to complete and is sent to houses in England and Wales every ten years to:
    help organisations make decisions on planning and funding public services in your area, including transport, education and healthcare.
    If you're finding it difficult to fill in and inaccessible, it might be worth speaking to someone from the Census contact team to see if they can support you.  This is a link to all their contact details including a web chat.  Please let us know how you get on :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm a bit surprised you've never heard of the census!  It's happened every 10 years for the last 200 years or so.  

It's basically a record of the whole country on one specific day each decade to see how the population has changed etc over time.  They're often used for family tree searches if you ever watch programmes like Who Do You Think You Are?

You don't have to fill it in if you don't want to.  And if you can't remember something you can just leave it blank.  The more people that do fill it in though, the better idea the government get of the country as a whole which could be used to improve services in future.
  • cupcake88
    Oh cool so it’s a government thing that’s good so it looks at how it can improve the country that’s good I’ll get my partner to fill it out as I’m not very good with filling forms out I’m guessing he fill it our for me , 
  • cupcake88
    I see you can tick disabled . Is it confidential because it’s a lot of questions I can see 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I'm a bit surprised you've never heard of the census!  It's happened every 10 years for the last 200 years or so.  

It's basically a record of the whole country on one specific day each decade to see how the population has changed etc over time.  They're often used for family tree searches if you ever watch programmes like Who Do You Think You Are?

You don't have to fill it in if you don't want to.  And if you can't remember something you can just leave it blank.  The more people that do fill it in though, the better idea the government get of the country as a whole which could be used to improve services in future.
    If you don’t you risk a £1000 fine.

cupcake88 said:
    Oh cool so it’s a government thing that’s good so it looks at how it can improve the country that’s good I’ll get my partner to fill it out as I’m not very good with filling forms out I’m guessing he fill it our for me , 
    I’m pretty sure you can complete it online. 
  • cupcake88
    Yes you get fined apparently my partner said he will fill it in online next week I’m not good at filling out forms I get really anxious . Even simple forms I can’t do . 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    You can indeed complete it online. Here is the link in case anyone else is wondering. You just need your 16-character access code, which can be found on your letter. If you lose your letter, you can request a new access code. All of the information is on the link I've provided :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Kit_
    Kit_ Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    For the last census, my mum got a job going to peoples houses to help them fill it in if they hadn’t done it already. I’m not sure how it’s going to work with covid restrictions but there should be help and support available for anyone who is struggling to complete it by themselves. 
  • MarkM88
    Kit_ said:
    For the last census, my mum got a job going to peoples houses to help them fill it in if they hadn’t done it already. I’m not sure how it’s going to work with covid restrictions but there should be help and support available for anyone who is struggling to complete it by themselves. 
    There has been jobs advertised just like that, so I think it’s available but will be covid secure. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    MarkN88 said:

If you don’t you risk a £1000 fine.

Yes, I stand corrected on that!  Just came back to this thread to correct myself.  :)

Seems odd that they're putting adverts on TV trying to persuade people to do it if it's a legal requirement!  :|
  • MarkM88
    @OverlyAnxious not sure how widely the fine is actually enforced though. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Just done ours online took less than 10 minutes, nothing will change between now and the 21st, after all nothing has changed since Christmas  :)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    it’s it’s all online this time around, you can fill it in early or wait till the 21-3-21 .@woodbine posted did his in 10 minutes anybody doing theirs quicker, if nothing changed since the last one will the comment no change be ok.
  • Tori_Scope
    edited March 2021
    There are indeed Census Support Centres @MarkN88 @Kit_. They're working differently this year due to the restrictions caused by coronavirus, but you can find out more here on the website
    Our Census Support Centres will help with general census queries, help you to fill in your online census or paper form, and discuss other ways to support you. We are keen to open these as soon as it is possible to do so safely.

Some phone support will be available from our Centres from Monday 1 March, but they cannot open fully during lockdown. As restrictions are eased, we will continue to monitor the situation and assess whether and where Centres can open to provide in-person support.

• MarkM88
    @Tori_Scope thanks for that, I always knew there was support available, but didn't know exactly how much differently they might be this time round. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    wilko said:
    it’s it’s all online this time around, you can fill it in early or wait till the 21-3-21 .@woodbine posted did his in 10 minutes anybody doing theirs quicker, if nothing changed since the last one will the comment no change be ok.
    there isn't an option for answering "no change" I did mine as soon as we got the letter as i'm 100% certain nothing will be any different on 21st March
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    No problem @MarkN88 :) It seems as they're not 100% sure either, as it's so difficult for them to plan ahead. Hopefully the phone support will be helpful, and they can expand the service soon. 

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Did mine online yesterday. I hate filling in forms. (I always make mistakes so filling them in online is great. If you make a mistake you can just delete it. I panic if I have to fill in a form on paper. I usually get my dad to fill in any paper forms for me then I know they will be filled in properly.
  • MarkM88
    Ive not received my code yet. 
  • ChrisW
    ChrisW Community member Posts: 10 Courageous
    If it's anonymous and you don't fill it in how can they find you to fine you?
    I have to admit I have only ever filled in one census form and that was 1981, I've never received another one until this morning.
    I've always lived in England when they've been due.

Brightness