Son won't see me — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son won't see me

Options
whattodo
whattodo Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi

My 11 year old son won't see or talk to me anymore. He lives with his mam and has always been very clingy with her. He has autism and just won't see me anymore.

I always help towards his upbringing and spoil him when he is with me. 

It's been a number if weeks now with no contact with him. 

I don't know what to do
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Hello @whattodo

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to read this. I'm not sure what your relationship is like with your son's mum, but have you discussed this with her to see if there's any way in which she can help?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • whattodo
    Options
    Yes she says she has tried to talk him round but is isn't having any of it. I have an ok relationship with her. 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

This must be hard for you . I have it the other way my son wants to see his dad but he only ever sees him couple times a year

Have you any idea why he has changed his mind 

Would it be possible to see him with his mum there or maybe in his own home so things are familiar for him .  

• whattodo
    Options
    We have suggested I go to his to see him but he wont. Due to his autism he tends to get very agitated and lashes out if he feels uncomfortable. 

I told him no to buying something and he didn't like being told no last time i seen him 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That could be the reason why then he didnt like being told no and kids that age sometimes only see the material side of a relationship so if they cant see themselves getting anything out of seeing you as in material benefit  they dont like it 

Maybe keep trying to contact by messages for now si he still knows you are around and he may change his mind 
  • whattodo
    Options
    Yes I will try that to see if he will come round thanks
  • RobbinBright
    RobbinBright Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    Options
    Try to find out some points to communicate. 
  • RobbinBright
    RobbinBright Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    Options

Brightness