Car Insurance Discrimination - Unable to Cancel Renewal Online — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Car Insurance Discrimination - Unable to Cancel Renewal Online

Options
OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
Hi all,

Just wanted your opinions on this topic really.  I'm unable to use telephones due to my conditions but not sure if this should be classed as discrimination, or whether it is just part of 'business' that I should accept?

It's very easy and accessible to buy car insurance online.  But when it comes to the renewal there is often no way to cancel the renewal online.  They also all automatically renew nowadays, so you can't just leave it to end.  This puts people like myself at a financial disadvantage of course, as they put the prices up each year.

We can switch utilities and bank accounts online easily, so why should the insurance industry be allowed to continue this less accessible practice of telephone only cancellations?

The company I'm with currently does have an online system, which makes it simple to change vehicle, add modifications, or add drivers - but there is no way to cancel the renewal.  I have also attempted the live chat feature but it won't even open if you click 'renewal enquires', and putting 'other' enquiries just stated that they were too busy to even add me to a waiting list.  I will try that again later, but don't hold out much hope for being able to cancel via webchat.

Thanks

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Do they not have a customer services email that you can send a message to and explain the circumstances? 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    MarkN88 said:
    Do they not have a customer services email that you can send a message to and explain the circumstances? 
    Not that I can find so far.  They have a complaints email but I'm guessing they're dealt with by different people compared to renewals/cancellations.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

How do you pay for your insurance? If by direct debit you could cancel the payment through your bank they will soon be in touch but again they will probably call you 

But cancelling the payment will cancel the policy si you will need alternative cover 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    I pay annually.  I don't give out a real telephone number so they can't call me.

My question is more about the insurance sector as a whole though.  Worst case scenario I could ask a relative to phone up and cancel it for me, but that seems totally unnecessary when the rest of the process is so accessible.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @janer1967 I did thst canceled my direct debit and got new insurance I just got a letter saying my insurance was cancelled 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I get your point and agree it would probably be simple to set it up to be able to do 

But they always try and talk you out if cancelling and discuss other offers to keep your custom so if you could just cancel online they wont have chance to try and persuade you to stay 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will find most most insurance companies ask you to auto renew your policy, each company has an complaints department and a claims department so on or in your policy documents there will be a contact number to use in case of making a claim. I had auto renewal on my car breakdown cover and saved £30 by doing an on line purchase same product starting when my current policy expired and phoned the company to cancel auto renew all done 2 months before renewal.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    wilko said:
    You will find most most insurance companies ask you to auto renew your policy, each company has an complaints department and a claims department so on or in your policy documents there will be a contact number to use in case of making a claim. I had auto renewal on my car breakdown cover and saved £30 by doing an on line purchase same product starting when my current policy expired and phoned the company to cancel auto renew all done 2 months before renewal.
    I can't use phones though...that's the issue here.  

I'm not alone in this either, plenty of deaf people drive (they just wear out clutches a bit quicker!  ;) ).  It should all be doable online imo.

On the subject of breakdown - I found the large companies to be equally as inaccessible when it comes to haggling or cancelling online.  But am now with a smaller company who don't force the auto renewal on anyone (it's made obvious and easy to opt in or out) and who also use a mobile phone app with location and a text based service so that they don't need any verbal communication in the event of a breakdown.  It's this sort of accessibility I'd like to see more of.  :)
  • anawilliam850
    anawilliam850 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Options
    You can cancel the anual pay on your debit card and wait that the insurance send to you a letter  for the renewal 

Brightness