Iceland store west drayton — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Iceland store west drayton

mikeymike
mikeymike Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
edited March 2021 in Coffee lounge

ok I am fed up with being totally humiliated by the new entry system in store where they installed about 1 month ago a turnstile and a trolley entrance so for those disabled people like myself on a mobility scooter or those in wheelchairs we now have to try to get 1 of the checkout staff to get another member of staff to open up an unused aisle so I can get in I mean ok its obvious to all that I am disabled but do they have to humiliate me by making me beg to get in I have complained to the staff who have told the management but they just don't seem to care. so much for easy access to shops is this the case with all their stores or just so bright spark manager here??

Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,765 Disability Gamechanger
    @mikeymike that sounds rediculas to be honest, is it same to come out of the shop? If so that's a fire risk,
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn't go in anymore and report to your local mp 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    They are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't, by that I mean that we have seen post after post on here complaining that stores aren't taking enough action to safeguard all their customers and yet when they do...The good news is that Iceland are the one company that almost always has delivery slots avaliable for those who don't want to / can't shop instore
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    @woodbine disability access should be easy accessible in all shops and stores it shouldn't be a case of not being able to access it so don't shop there, needs a complaint to head office 
  • mikeymike
    mikeymike Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    to address a couple of the replies as far as i can see it has nothing to do with protecting the  customers at all as there is no one controlling the flow and of course people are using their hands on  the turnstyle all the time.
    as to using somewhere else nowhere else sells the particular items i buy from there  close to where i live.
    and as to online delivery i only buy a few things each week so the delivery cost would be more than the shopping.
    and to be honest why should disabled people be excluded from going into a store when a better system that disabled can use could have been installed, like the automatic gates that my morrisons store uses. 
    i honestly thought that stores nowadays where meant to be disabled friendly, 
    and i appreciate and understand everyone has their point of view i am only stating that i feel as a disabled person that i have the same rights as an able bodied person.

• woodbine
    These are unusual and unparrelled times, I get the disability issue but can only repeat that at least for us Iceland have had delivery slots through the lockdowns, and they only charge £2 for delivery for spends under £35.

• Sandy_123
    @mikeymike absolutely you should have same rights as a able bodied  person. That's why we have discrimination laws. Send an email to head office my ice land store doesn't have any barriers, in fact I can't think of any store I use with such barriers. 
    @woodbine that's ok with deliveries if that's what you want to do, however if a wheelchair user wants to access a store to shop in a store they should be able to have that choice,  as equal, without barriers and difficulties.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @sandy123 I agree shops should be made accessible to disabled wheel chair/scooter users  ok they do open the gate but that's not the point all people should have easy access to shops 

I would complain to head office I know some people do order online  but it's not for everyone and may not want that much shopping 

• woodbine
    I think another point to keep in mind is that Iceland stores are often quite small in comparison to the big tesco or asda stores with big wide entrances and aisles .

• Sandy_123
    @woodbine my Iceland store is not big like Tesco etc but always big enough for a wheel chair or scooter to go through the door, I think the point is wheel chairs and scooters can easily access these smaller stores, unless like this store they but a barrier up  unessasarily, 1 removing it will not stop the store from monitoring shoppers for covid safety.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Some ice land shops are big  there a few big ones in England thst have large entrances which are realy good 

It's the small ones that are the problem they would be better with the swing gates like morrisons  that would probably solve the problem 
  • Sandy_123
    @lisathomas50 yes your right, I forgot about the big Iceland stores to be honest, till you mentioned it. But even the smaller 1s have adequate access 99 % of the time 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Sandy_123 yes there are also the real large bulk buy ones as well 

I have been in a small ice land but it had an automatic swing gate which would be better for the store in question 

As I said writing to head office or emailing would be a good thing  to say about the problems for wheel chair/scooter access
  • Lisatho11987777
  • Lisatho11987777
    Iceland  ceo email address I have just sent an email bringing up the issues  so hope it will help 

Brightness