PIP Processes and timescale. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Processes and timescale.

Sweeney09
Sweeney09 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi! 

I suffer with severe mental health issues, didn’t bother applying for PIP as all I’ve heard was it was a bit of ballache. 

In the end my missus convinced me to do so she filled it out for me. We sent it off in December 2020 and heard nothing but a text message back since. 

I have weekly appointments with a support worker person to make sure I don’t go completely mad ? and he said they got in contact with him last week to discuss my situation and to ask him questions about me. 

Is this normal? I’m aware they can go to health professionals but heard it was very rare. 
Atleast I know my claim is being dealt with I suppose! 

:)

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Dont worry it is normal in some cases . You may find they are trying to do a paper based assessment with them contacting them but that is just a possibility 

It takes a while to get an appt through for an assessment 

You could always call and ask what the progress is on your claim 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Sweeney09, hello and welcome, the whole process from the initial request phone call to having the assessment and receiving the award notification letter can take 6 months. The assessment company may and do sometimes contact doctors to get or confirm your diagnosis ect or contact other health professionals. This normal and if enough evidence is sent with the application form you may be lucky and have a paper based assessment.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sweeney09

Welcome to the community, glad you've joined us :) 

I see you have received some replies above, have these helped put your mind at ease?

I hope your support worker helps you, and please ensure you continue to seek support if this process has an impact on your mental health :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Sweeney09
    Sweeney09 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi!!! 

Sorry for not replying! I had abit of a wobble with my mental health but I’m feeling better so that’s a plus. 

The missus called up PIP for an update and it turns out they’ve done a paper based assessment and it’s with the decision maker. 

They’ve said around 4/5 weeks so fingers crossed. 

Is there any difference in success rate from a paper based assessment to those done on the phone? 

Thanks!! 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Sweeney09 said:
    Hi!!! 

Sorry for not replying! I had abit of a wobble with my mental health but I’m feeling better so that’s a plus. 

The missus called up PIP for an update and it turns out they’ve done a paper based assessment and it’s with the decision maker. 

They’ve said around 4/5 weeks so fingers crossed. 

Is there any difference in success rate from a paper based assessment to those done on the phone? 

Thanks!! 
    I'm glad you are feeling better, hopefully you get a positive outcome :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.