Hi, my name is keithjegs! Do I have to provide full details of my rental income from inception? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is keithjegs! Do I have to provide full details of my rental income from inception?

Options
keithjegs
keithjegs Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have been on the old type esa support group for years. Contribution based. I also receive a pension and rental income what the Dwp have been aware off. I also send in yearly statements from my occupational pension as I am aware they can take this into consideration.
I have just completed a compliance interview and answered the same questions as normal about the above.
received a letter today asking for bank details and full details of my rental income from inception.
do I have to provide details as I believe any rental income amount does not have to be disclosed as this benefit is contribution based and and other income does not have to be disclosed.
do anyone have any law/ regs on this?

Regards

keith

Comments

• Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Options
    I don't have a definitive answer, but I'm sure I read somewhere about rental income. 

From memory, I believe it comes down to who manages the properties.  Did they ask who your property agent is etc., either this time or on previous occasions? 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree that rental income would not affect a cont-ESA award.
    However ESA is a mixed award and can be a contribution based award, an income based award or a mixture of both. It’s possible DWP want the information so that they can do a full check to see whether you have any income based entitlement - but that's speculation on my part.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • keithjegs
    keithjegs Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    It’s definitely all CB the asked me to fill a form in last year for an the income based ESA. But advised by citizens advice not to claim as it would take me over the income threshold and would not be entitled to it. Where as if I stay on the old contribution based ESA it is not means tested and I believe you are not at a liberty to declare any income whatsoever... they can only consider an element from my occupational pension. Thank you for your responses.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I think you will either have to submit the information as requested or ring them and get them to agree they don't need it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.