How are you coping in lockdown? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How are you coping in lockdown?

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
?I'm doing well, it hasn't effected me. 
?OK, but can't wait to see family and friends. 
?Mixed feelings, change from day to day. 
?Made me sad. 
?Effected me bad, took a tile on my health. 
?Hate it, I want things back to normal.
For me I'd choose ?Mixed feelings change from day to day. 
My inbox is open if anyone wants a chat ❤️

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm probably a ?. I'm coping okay on the whole, but I know what you mean by feeling different day-to-day @Tammyjane33. Hopefully things are on the up now, but we'll just have to see! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Welshjayne2021
    Welshjayne2021 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
     ?Mixed feelings. Can’t wait to get back to normal, but my logic tells me that won’t happen for quite some time yet. Hope the Welsh government will lift the travel ban soon and I can go to my happy place, my caravan.  Once that happens, I can deal with the rest.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Welshjayne2021 we will be lucky they are saying it will be stay local travel hopefuly shops and hairdressers will be open again Monday but we will see I shop online when I am home anyway if they do to much like they did last time we will be back in lockdown by the summer a couple of schools had ti close down because of corona cases they had only been back a couple of days 
  • Welshjayne2021
    Welshjayne2021 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    @lisathomas50.  I know its another waiting game.  Maybe because it’s winter, lockdown seems longer and more difficult to deal with this time.
  • cartha
    cartha Community member Posts: 1,390 Pioneering
    ?Hate it, I want things back to normal. Though I don't want things back to normal until it is safe to do so. My friends are a long way from home and I haven't seen any of them for over a year, plus I went nearly a year without seeing my daughter because the social workers wouldn't work face to face. The local council is still closed down to access (no physical access, doors barricaded, etc.) but the social workers are now venturing outside. I can't complain too much about the restrictions because we are one of the least hit areas in the country but regarding my daughter, we could have handled things safely within the family. Same with friends, really.

Before lockdown I was involved in a four-way council house swap, all set up and ready to go. Lockdown stopped than an a couple of people pulled out a few months later so I have been living in a house that is all packed up in boxes apart from the bare minimum I need to get by day to day. I have since found another swap possibility but the council aren't allowing any swaps to go ahead at the moment. Last I heard they are due to have another meeting about it next week.  Both parties and the removals company are happy to arrange our own precautions regarding safety from COVID-19 but we can't move without the council's go ahead.

On a more positive side I prefer being on my own but do like to have the freedom to go out and about sometimes. At least the vaccine is rolling out now so hopefully only a matter of time until we hit that magical herd immunity figure and we can start rebuilding what has been broken. The spiders are my new friends, they've started coming out from wherever they hide over winter ;-)  Another positive is I finally started joining in with Scope during the lockdown after being a member for quite some time, and thanks to discovering some of the games people are playing.

Hope you're all having a good day :-)
  • Dsmout96
    Dsmout96 Community member Posts: 11 Connected

Maybe a bit strong, before the pandemic, I enjoyed going to the pub with friends and visiting my elderly grandparents, neither of which is possible right now. I miss the experience of talking with people face to face, having to think and speak clearly and getting practise at both.

Now that communication with the outside world has been reduced to zoom calls and emails, I feel I've got worse at speaking and find myself tripping over my words and forgetting what I'm gonna say halfway through a sentence. I envy people who can talk confidently on video or the radio etc. 

I do have cerebral palsy, but don't have a speech impediment, more trouble finding the right way. Oddly, I find I think quite clearly, but it rarely comes out the same way that I've spoken it in my head. 

Maybe this is normal, I don't know. I think now that I'm stuck in doors looking for jobs I've convinced myself I've got 500 things wrong with me. I'll watch a video on narcissism and convince myself I'm a narcissist, It's getting quite ridiculous and very dispiriting. 

It seems mental health referrals are up, the pandemic is doing funny things to people's perception of themselves, so important to interact with the outside world where possible.   
  • Lisatho11987777
    @cartha we got along way to go yet even though alot of people have had the two doses of the vacination  still have to see if people will be immune or thst a vacination  will be required every year under 16s have to wait to see if they can have it only way to find out realy is to see if people have built up enough antibodies  to be immune 

I had my antibodies test and even though I have had corona virus more than once I havent built up an antibodies  which is one reason why they said I couldn't have the vacine 

Mum has had her first one I get worried for myself being at my mums for reasons I have already stated to many people etc but also becsuse my mum does go to day center she could be carrying it and then mum's neighbor and friend who has also has had the first jab takes us to day center because I got pulled as I had Welsh plates on my car so it makes it easier now but then that's another risk and he comes in for coffee but I keep my distance 

Everything is makeing me paranoid and now I think I have developed a nervous cough  becsuse soon as I go outside by people I start coughing 

At home I shoo online and there are lots of places you can walk where there are no people so can keep myself and when my mum lived with me last year safe  and knew I was safe I feel like I am in the pandemic now and I dont feel safe 
  • cartha
    Dsmout96 said:

8<

Maybe this is normal, I don't know. I think now that I'm stuck in doors looking for jobs I've convinced myself I've got 500 things wrong with me. I'll watch a video on narcissism and convince myself I'm a narcissist, It's getting quite ridiculous and very dispiriting. 

Is it possible that if you watched a few happy videos they may help convince you of something more positive?

I believe that if you are wondering whether or not you may be a narcissist then you aren't.

I've been talking to spiders and plants. Not something I would normally do. I haven't named them yet. One plant has a name, Bob, because it was named by my daughter who planted it as a seed as a Girl Guides project. Bob the Rosemary. Has a contemporary ring to it I think ;-)
  • cartha
    @lisathomas50 How long are you staying with your mum? You can only do your best to stay safe but try to not get too paranoid. It's a worry being with our old folk in case we give them anything but it's also a worry being away from them because we can't keep an eye on them. We really do this thing to start giving us some breathing space.

• Lisatho11987777
    @cartha I am here until Sunday I got more chance of my mum giving it to me becsuse of her dementia and not good at following the rules plus she is in day center she has had her first vacination but could still pass it to me if she was at my house I could keep her safer  than I can here 
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Thank you all for your comment, I will get back to everyone tomorrow. We've got this, I think alot of us are struggling, some more than others but we are all in this together. 
    If anyone feels alone and wants to talk privately please feel free to message me.
    I wish you all the best.
    Tammy
  • jay_uk
    jay_uk Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited March 2021
    I have been getting into online dating recently. it's a good way to use the time productively, while investing in new friendships and potential relationships. There is one site which specifically evaluates UK dating sites for disabled people, its called datinghive.co.uk . We are all in the same boat right now and there's not much you can do about, so might as well use the time to forge some new relationships.
    Obviously times have been better and social contacts have been going missing and this has affected everybody's emotional state extensively. Just try to remain positive at all times. This will end eventually. 

Brightness