New to Autism to this any ideas? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New to Autism to this any ideas?

Options
bazzer23
bazzer23 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My 4 year old son was diagnosed as a high functioning autistic child last week. Wife and I have suspected for the last year but now it's official. After crying about how he would 'never be normal' and almost a feeling of grieving, I really want to learn about how to help him and others who are going through similar. Where do I start!

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hu and welcome 

Sorry to hear about your son 

You should find useful info in our autistic section also patent and carers section 

You may also want to check out the national autistic society or NHS website 

I hope you get some support we are always around to help 
  • ASDIBS
    ASDIBS Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    Options
    My son is 19 now and has Asperger's. I felt the same when he was initially diagnosed. It's good that you've received an early diagnosis. My son was 13/14 when he received his and we went through lots of issues before that and not knowing the reason why. 
    What is normal? We are all unique. Your son will have many strengths and I would concentrate on those. You're now in a position to get extra support for any areas that he's not so strong in. We told everyone that we felt needed to know and that included parents of other children at his school. It made it a lot easier as my son does have problems mixing with people. My son continued through mainstream school and with support managed 10 GCSES. He's now at university studying engineering.
    Like I say, we're all different but please be aware that there is lots of support and information out there. 
    My son would shout it from the rooftop if he could, please don't worry.
  • ASDIBS
    ASDIBS Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    Options
    Also, I'm not sure what organisation diagnosed your son but it would be worth asking if they run a parenting course for children with Autism. CAMHS ran a course when my son was diagnosed and it was useful. They may be able to offer something remotely?

Brightness