What are your thoughts on today's budget? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are your thoughts on today's budget?

2»

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Adrian_Scope my support worker totally threw me  thats why I needed to check it   thank you 

If I was still on esa in the support group would I have been better off than uc 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Sorry everyone  I don't normaly take any notice I am grateful for any amount of money I get my support worker convinced me and the poor woman on the phone I wasn't getting It 

Thank you everyone  I can see now looking from before the uplift  

To be fair as long as I can pay my bills and have my house and food  then all is ok again I apologise 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    leeCal said:
    It sounded fair considering how much has been spent recently.
    there is just one thing, having never done economics I don’t understand who exactly we’ve borrowed billions from which need to be paid back? If it’s the IMF then where do they get their money from?

ok, I’ve answered my one question and if any one else is interested then the answer can be found here
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50504151
    There is a danger that govt bond prices are having to pay higher interest rates, also if interest rates increase by just 1% it will cost the treasury an extra £25 billion a year in repayments, the only easy way out is if inflation increases to around 4% (quite possible when people start spending money again).

Overall and all things considered it was a good budget, but I think the one thing that most people who work will not realise the impact of is that tax allowances whilst getting a small increase for 2021/22 will be frozen until 2026/27, and most of the projections seem to rely on astronomical growth this year and next year, which may or may not happen.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    @Adrian_Scope my support worker totally threw me  thats why I needed to check it   thank you 

If I was still on esa in the support group would I have been better off than uc 
    No worries Lisa. 

Whether you'd have been better off depends on a few different factors. UC standard allowance plus LCWRA actually pays more than ESA Support Group. But those receiving SDP were worse off under UC. 
    Can you remember why you had to change to UC and whether you were receiving SDP before? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lisatho11987777
    I was on esa support group  then I got a full time job but still received a small amount of esa  but then had a pay rise and  I was earning to much so esa stopped and I was on working tax credits I had a stroke so I couldn't work  stayed on esa until I was fit for work and when I went to claim working tax they said it had changed  to universal  credit 

I think from my own calculations I am better off  I not haveing a good day I am in a quandary and its started all this uncertainty  off I cant cry even though I want to I have lost two friends they both died  but one of them was my very close friend and God father to one of my children we lost touch and he found me again in 2019  he was my first gay friend he died of heart attack at 59 years old 
    I didnt get to say bye the day he died I missed a call off him  

I don't know how to deal with it  I don't know what to do I lost him once  but now he is gone for good ?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    @lisathomas50 I'm sorry to hear that.  Grief is a hard process and some days you really do feel that loss.  I'm sure your friends knew how much you loved them so think back to the happy memories and times you shared together.  This Mind webpage has information about coping with bereavement and please let the team know if you feel you would benefit from additional support.  Look after yourself <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @lisathomas50 sorry  for the loss of your friends must have been a shock 

Talk things through with friends and family bereavement is a long process and there is always support from bereavement counsellors if you feel the need 

Take care 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 thank you I wish I could cry  I just feel not right 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Cher_Scope it's because I missed that phone call  the day he died thats what we were doing remembering the goid times  I csnt belive it that he is just gone  fit and healthy always winding me up 

He came to my work one day dressed in dragg lol ? he was the life and sole  of any party 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    No surprises really. Can’t say I’m euphoric as some are about the £20. It’s still about £80pw too low to live on.
    And it’s only a (grudging) extension for six month six anyway. No opportunity taken to recognise that basic benefit levels are too low. (which is not a surprise but is nonetheless disappointing).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Hope I find a job soon my situation my change again though if a family matter goes a different way  
  • Audinut70
    Audinut70 Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    The budget was a typical conservative budget, take from the working/lower class and give it back to the bosses, their mates. Please anyone, dont tell me you're surprised! 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I would disagree with the idea that they will "take it all back in six months with tax hikes", that's an over simplification, in fact tax allowances for 2021/22 will increase slightly and capital gains tax won't increase until 2022/3, so there no immediate plans for a tax grab, he was far more subtle than that. Also people who's income is made up of just UC don't get enough to pay tax.
    The good news is that in the main there will be no return to the austerity policies of the Cameron/Osborne or Theresa May days.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Audinut70
    I have one problem with the math! Boris personally shouted about £350m a week we will save after Brexit, we're 2 months into total independence, so where has this money gone? Or was he hoping we'd forget about that!
  • Lisatho11987777
    Probably never existed or has been eaten up by the money that has been paid out on the pandemic 

I want to know what happens to all that money when people are fined for corona virus rule breakers the government have raked in thousands on fines so far 
  • Audinut70
    Yeah, there's a thing! Its the nurses and the caring profession that deal with the aftermath, I really feel bad for that profession, one minister basically saying they should be grateful for their jobs. I really hope the people that voted these arrogant clowns back into power are satisfied with their decisions!
    The NHS has NEVER been a priority for these muppets. I suspect they would love to sell it all off just to get it off their backs.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Budget was the usual Tory tripe. Take off the the poor to help the rich!

Brightness