CLAIM — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CLAIM

kes2611
kes2611 Community member Posts: 124 Courageous
I am on contribution based ESA n in the support group due to my disabilitys. Can i claim universal credit.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Are you getting any income based ESA on top of your contribution based ESA? An ESA award can be both unless you are getting new style ESA which is contribution based only.

Claiming UC would end any existing income based ESA and Housing Benefit claims. Contribution based ESA would continue but be deducted from the UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kes2611
    I get contribution bssed n am in the support group.
  • calcotti
    edited March 2021
    kes2611 said:
    I get contribution bssed n am in the support group.
    If it is old contribution based ESA (rather than new style ESA) do you know why you are not getting any income based top up?

You can compare entitlement using a benefits calculator https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Do you know how much you receive from ESA at the moment @kes2611 or whether you receive any other benefits such as housing benefit as well?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • kes2611
    I get 260 a fortnite esa cause lost a load due to loseing pip.i get houseing benefit
  • calcotti
    kes2611 said:
    I get 260 a fortnite esa cause lost a load due to loseing pip.i get houseing benefit
    If you are single that means that your ESA payment includes income based ESA. It sounds as if you previously had the SDP while getting PIP which also confirms that your ESA includes income based elements because SDP can’t be included on a solely contribution based award.

Your existing ESA award is therefore either entirely income based or a mix of contribution based and income based. If you may get PIP reinstated you are better staying on ESA and should not, in my opinion, consider UC at the moment.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.