Vehicle tax — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Vehicle tax

Akw
Akw Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I went to get tax today at the post office and they said I need part 6 of my pip letter . I don't recall getting part 6 but they said that's the part that has the exception certificate on it ? 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Akw, the tax exemption certificate was included in your award notification letter. It’s not a full page letter just a few lines of text plus your reference number. Check through your notification letter and you should may find it (hope you do) if you don’t you will have to contact DWP and explain your predicament and hope the can will send a replacement. Keep all your papers in a folder or folders for future reference as you will need the reference number when you next tax your car even if you do it online.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited June 2019
    @Akw it should look like this one of mine below. Good luck.

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Akw
    Thank you , I'll have another look through my paper work , I have my blue badge , I just need to find this certificate part of the letter for my tax . 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For the free road tax you need Enhanced mobility. If it's standard mobility and you scored at least 8 points in the moving around part you get a 50% reduction but for this there's no certificate and you can only tax your vehicle by sending all your documents to DVLA along with the remainder of the payment for the tax.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Akw
    I have 12 points for mobility and I took that part to the post office but they said I need the certificate part.  it says on it enhanced rate mobility 
    @Akw you need one like I've posted above as that is the certificate to give you full free tax. Or as @poppy123456 mentioned above..
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• poppy123456
    The part you need is a certificate and will be in your award letter that you received. If you didn't keep that part because you didn't realise you needed it then you'll need to contact DWP to ask them to send you another. You won't be able to tax your vehicle without this part. The award notice won't help you here.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    @poppy123456 you've done it again????? I've already posted up what they will need to claim free tax and you've explained the 50% rule?
    ⬇️

• poppy123456
    @Government_needs_reform yes i know but you'll be very surprised at the people that misunderstand the car tax rules when claiming mobility part of PIP. Some think they can receive free car tax with any mobility award, that's why i explained the 50% rule.
    Yes @poppy123456 I hope your as well as can be, you have done right explaining that part about the 50% rule as I've only got the full certificate, and never had to worry or know how the 50% works? ?

I wasn't sure if the OP had a certificate or not so I posted it up to show them.

I don't need it as my car is 0 Tax anyway. 
    ⬇️

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Thank you all for posting up this topic as this will be one of the points to be considered when it comes to deciding whether or not to renew my Motability lease.  I am concerned about the continual £60+ weekly cost and could seriously buying my next car outright.  More great advice from Scope!

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

edited June 2019
    @exdvr I was on Motability Year’s ago and wasn't using it much, lucky if I did 2,000 miles a year.

I did do away with Motability and purchased a second hand car 3 years old, and it Tax exempt too, so no Tax needed. Car still has less than 30,000 on it.

Still doing not many miles less than 2,000 and now saved all Mobility allowance for a newer car since 2014.

If you do buy a car make sure it's right for you. Good luck.

⬇️

• TinaW60
    TinaW60 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have recently been awarded the enhanced mobility part of PIP.  I have received a "statement of entitlement" which does not mention car tax.  There was definitely not a certificate of entitlement included.  The post office won't accept the statement.  Last year my friend had the same issue, she rang the PIP helpline who seemed unaware of the certificate, the re-sent the statement instead.  She gave up and paid the tax.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @TinaW60 you need a different letter letter  I have one its a certificate  to say you don't have to pay car tax you need to phone pip and say that your trying to get your care taxed and they won't accept your award letter they will send you one out 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Government_needs_reform, having had my own cars since a 17 year old now approaching retirement part exchanged my 13 year old car in for an 4 year old ex mobility car under 9000 miles on the clock automatic and had a annual oil change and a service with oil change before collecting it was an unadapted car really light steering and red hot disc brakes all round. Don’t know if the steering or brakes where set for the previous owner the garage was not the original seller.
    wilko said:
    @Government_needs_reform, having had my own cars since a 17 year old now approaching retirement part exchanged my 13 year old car in for an 4 year old ex mobility car under 9000 miles on the clock automatic and had a annual oil change and a service with oil change before collecting it was an unadapted car really light steering and red hot disc brakes all round. Don’t know if the steering or brakes where set for the previous owner the garage was not the original seller.
    Wilko I've just received a notification from you I'm glad you got a bargain with your new car, I hope it's running well for you.

I've not been on here for well over a year or more, but thought I'd reply to you.?

I was struck down with Covid-19 and was hospitalised for just over month, I was one of the lucky ones and managed to survive it. It was so sad to see people dying around me a truly horrible situation to be in. ☹️
    ⬇️

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that you were unwell with coronavirus @Government_needs_reform :( I hope that you're feeling better now? I can imagine it would have been a traumatic experience. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
    @Tori_Scope Thanks for that means a lot❤️ Just seen your message been busy with campaigning since. I feel wonderful now.? Respesct.
    ⬇️

Brightness