Just scored ZERO points despite my condition — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just scored ZERO points despite my condition

Options
redmoon
redmoon Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I started a pip claim in November, due to the pandemic I haven’t had a face to face appointment with my GP for quite some time but have medication to control my bipolar.
 If I’m honest this just files the teeth of of my depression rather than getting rid of it, I cannot take antidepressants as they make me manic.
 I am also in regular communication with a psychiatric nurse (once a fortnight) and wasn’t taken into account, mainly because it is a new thing I have only been seeing her for a few months as my condition has deteriorated.
 I cannot leave the home alone or answer the door, I basically need support throughout the day. These are things I brought up repeatedly during my phone assessment a few weeks ago. Non of it appeared in the notes made by the assessor not once did she mention I have terrible memory and need reminding to take the meds I’ve been prescribed, or that there are more than a few days out of every month I can’t leave the home.

it feels like my whole condition has been written off as something trivial simple because I am articulate on the phone. A face to face assessment would have made me quiet, I can’t look someone in the eye or I just ignore them as talking to people in person brings on panic attacks.  

I am going to appeal this (and may also write a complaint) but it’s left me feeling defeated and if I’m honest in a really dark place. Me and my husband just want to know what to expect going into an appeal with ZERO points?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi sorry to hear your issues 

Lots of people go from zero points to getting an award 

The success rate at MR usnt good but it is better at tribunal 

I am confused tho as you say you cannot go out in one sentence but in another you cant go out a few days every month ? 

Not being able to go out for just a few days a month wouldn't be considered for points as it is how you are affected for the majority of days 

Good luck with the appeal it is worth trying 
  • redmoon
    redmoon Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    @janer1967 Sorry that wasn’t worded well, what I meant was that on the average day I can leave home with someone with me but my condition swings and there are days that even with support and medication I cannot cope leaving the house at all.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That makes more sense 

It's up to you if you want to appeal 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.