Will my sons employment status affect my benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will my sons employment status affect my benefits?

tray67
tray67 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
So I received a letter today regarding my housing benefit i have a 28 year old son who lives with me , but works away and is home between 2-4 days per month i dont receive money from him as he has to pay for lodgings i notified dss when he started work but was told because he is only home 2-4 days per month my benefit wouldn't be affected . Im a bit worried now as because of covid my son has had to claim u.c and i have received a letter now saying his previous employment will now affect the benefit i received is this correct . I thought id done everything  correct i receive pip and esa and have a carer . T I A

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tray67 are you saying that your son is now living with you all the time?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• tray67
    My son is now living with me full time and claiming universal credit x when he was previously employed he stayed at lodgings and worked away coming home 2-4 days s month 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not sure how his "previous" employment will affect your past benefits, that doesn't make much sense, if he claims UC now that's his benefit not yours, the only issue I can see is if you were claiming 25% discount on your council tax for living alone, you would lose that from when he moved back home full time.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are in receipt of Daily Living part of PIP there should be no non dependant deductions regardless of your son’s circumstances.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tray67
    Ok thankyou no i didnt claim the 25% discount x and i do have daily living component x i didnt quite understand it either tbh i though i had done everything correct x
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Just provide information they ask for otherwise they may suspend payment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tray67
    Yeah ive provided everything they asked for x Thankyou

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.