Hi, I'm andrewjohn! Has anyone else had pins & needles due to stenosis of the spine? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm andrewjohn! Has anyone else had pins & needles due to stenosis of the spine?

andrewjohn
andrewjohn Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Hello. My name is Andrew. And  for the past two years, I have been diagnosed with Stenosis of the lower Lumbar spine, and I find that when I go for a walk, and as careful as I am, not to tread on uneven ground, when I do, this starts to set off pins and needles in my lower back, and travels up my back, and then down to my ankles, and when this happens, I feel stuck in limbo, as I am unable to do anything, as I normally lay down on my bed.
Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, could you tell me how you overcame the feeling, so you could continue to walk home?
Thank you.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @andrewjohn and welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear that you have been experiencing these symptoms. Have you spoken to your GP or a physiotherapist about this?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome on board sorry to hear of your situation I dont have any wise words of wisdom for you just wanted to say hi 

There are other members here with your condition so hopefully they will pass in their experience 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Hello @andrewjohn and welcome to our community.  How are you today?

Unfortunately we're not medical professionals so wouldn't be able to offer advice in terms of treatment and cures, however I'd second speaking to your doctor or physiotherapist about how to manage these symptoms.

In the meanwhile, you might find this NHS Tyneside online leaflet handy as it contains tips on ways to safely self-treat spinal stenosis.

And also, I've moved your post into our Physical impairments and mobility issues category where other members also have this condition if you wish to browse it.  Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @andrewjohn I suffer with my spine so you have my sympathy I get pins n needles in my thighs and numbness. I understand the lying on the bed as when my spine flares up it's only place to get some ease. I would make Drs appointment, see what they sugest. 
  • andrewjohn
    Hi Sandy. I was sorry to read you have spinal problems also. My pins and needles, actually travel up my back from my spine, and, just like yourself, I find that only laying on my bed for about ten or so minutes, gives some sort of relief. And then I have to get up again, and try to carry on with DIY drilling mainly, which sets it off, because I am putting pressure against the drill. But I will do as you suggest, and try and make an appointment to see my Dr again. Very many thanks for writing to me Sandy, and I do hope that your spine, doesn't cause you too much discomfort. Keep well and stay safe.
  • Sandy_123
    @andrewjohn let us know how you get on, and good luck. Try not to do too much drilling, 
  • andrewjohn
    I'll be sure to let you know the outcome Sandy. And unfortunately, my other half knows that drilling brings the symptoms on, but that doesn't really seem to matter too much, so long as she is able to get her jobs done. And I must admit, the feelings I get, which is like pins and needles, and mild electric shocks, seem to last a long time. Though probably only really for about ten or so minutes, but quite tiring!
  • Sandy_123
    @andrewjohn is there any one that can do it for you, explain this to your other half how you are feeling, hopefully you get Drs appointment soon 
  • andrewjohn
    There is Sandy, a neighbor who lives at the bottom of our garden, though unfortunately, he is going through treatment for bladder cancer, and although he is a really nice chap, and will do anything for anybody, I don't really want to impose on him. And the other half knows how I feel, when I get these symptoms, she just says go and rest for a minute, and finish it later! Though I will definitely push for a Dr's appointment now. It doesn't really help, as I also suffer with COPD, though mildly thankfully, and Osteoporosis. Hark at me going on, sorry, I shouldn't be doing.
  • Sandy_123
    @andrewjohn hark as much as u like that's why we're all here to give support. If that was me I would leave the drilling until u get sorted at Drs, diy will always be waiting. It's not urgent to drill, 
  • andrewjohn
    Thank you Sandy. I do try and leave the drilling, but the other half is one of those people, that says, don't put anything off today, that can't be done tomorrow. Or something like that. It's more or less as another saying goes, if I say jump, just ask how high! She is a very impatient person, and does things on the spur of the moment, even if I am not feeling up to it, she makes me feel guilty!
  • Sandy_123
    I think you both need to sit down properly and talk seriously. You can't keep making your self ill to please someone else. 
  • andrewjohn
    Hi Sandy. I am very sorry for my late reply. I have tried to do as you said quite a few times, but it just ends up with bad words, as she is a very highly strung person, who is quite selfish, and if she doesn't get her way, then I know about it. And that causes stress, which causes my back to flare up. My middle sister who lives in Spain, has said to me about her selfishness, and other half's sister is the same, to try and give myself some space to relax more. And I said the only way I can do that, was to leave the situation!
  • Sandy_123
    Hi there, I can't really advice about your marriage only you know how the situation is, only thing I can say is if things don't change then your health will suffer more. 
  • andrewjohn
    Hi Sandy. Thanks for your message. And I do appreciate you can't give me any advice, and quite wrong of me, to have brought that subject up. But I know if my situation doesn't change, then my health is going to suffer more, and I don't want that to happen. However, I do hope that you are feeling comfortable today, and not in too much pain?
  • andrewjohn
    I am probably going to go to bed soon, as I have just taken my last medication for the day. I don't know if you take anything to help ease your discomfort, but I have been prescribed ZAPAIN, Paracetamol and Codeine Phosphate, 30/500. Which do help to take the edge of the ache caused by arthritis, and also Pregabalin 20 capsules, for the tingling. They are meant to block the nerve endings. Take care stay safe and keep well.
  • Sandy_123
    I tend to start with paracetamol then go up as pain worsens and antinflamatries 
  • andrewjohn
    Good morning Sandy. I did start with just Paracetamol, though with taking beta blockers for hypertension, I can only take certain antinflamatries, though when I am able to get an appointment with my GP, I will ask her again about something else.
  • andrewjohn
    Good evening Sandy. I do hope that you are well, and not been affected by the Covid-19, and have by now, inoculated.
  • Sandy_123
    Hi ya @andrewjohn, how you keeping?

Brightness