How did you find being pregnant and becoming a disabled mum? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How did you find being pregnant and becoming a disabled mum?

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger

Our very own @Ami2301 is featured in Enable Magazine this Mother's Day, sharing her experience of becoming a mum to little Daisy.  

In the article, Ami describes some of the difficulties she faced during pregnancy:
From ongoing back pain, which prevented Ami to do some tasks independently, to flashbacks triggered by her stay in hospital that left Ami remembering her nine-month rehabilitation hospital stay back in 2018.
But also describes her joy at Daisy's arrival, “The second that Daisy was placed into my arms, I’d never experienced bliss like it before".

A photo showing a pair of babys feet sticking out of the bottom of a white blanket

What support is there for disabled parents?

Parenting can be hard and Scope have lots of resources to help you through the tougher times.  Some of these include:

How did you find becoming a parent?

Are you a disabled mum/carer?  And if so, does @Ami2301's story sound familiar?  Feel free to tell us your story this Mothering Sunday as we take a step back to reflect on the life-changing experience of becoming mum! 
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    So pleased @Ami2301 has shared her story such an inspiration 

I didn't become disabled till toby was 10 but it has been hard to come to terms with accepting what I can no longer do for or with him .

I must say that was my main concern about how much his life would change . I could no longer drive,  take him to school or clubs , outings 

He however has taken it all in his stride and is my rock 

The worst thing I had to do was sit him down on my hospital bed and tell him they were going to amputate my leg . Think the whole award and nurses were in tears with us 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you so much for sharing @Cher_Scope and your ongoing support :)

Thank you for your kind words @janer1967 and for sharing your experience. That's one of the reasons why i really struggled with the baby blues, i had an idea of what i might not be able to do for Daisy but when it became reality and i was faced with a situation, it just broke me because i couldn't do it.

It has been hard accepting what i can't do for her too. I just hope she doesn't turn round and ask for a powerchair for a christmas present when she's old enough  :D
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ami2301 Daisy wont ever have known anything different so will just see her life with you as being a fantastic mummy . You also have a loving partner my your side to fill in the gaps 

Unfortunately toby didnt have his dad around when I became disabled.  He had left 6 months b4 so had that to deal with as well 

But we have built a new life for ourselves and have supported each other as I am sure will be the case with daisy and you 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry that your son didn't have his dad around at the time. From what i've read from your posts, your son sounds like an absolute star and i have no doubt that its because you're his mum :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Brightness