How Retro are you? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How Retro are you?

fluffycat
fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
I've been collecting records & cassette tapes. (more fun to spinning a record/tape on a deck or personal player, than digital)

(also fun when charity shops were open to see what Vinyl or Audio cassettes bargains are about  (and sometimes buy online if bargain)

Do have some VHS tapes but never get round to playing.

Had couple old games consoles but gave-up on them in favour of a few emulators, as too expensive finding games. 

I love Lego (mentioned before)

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm very retro, only enjoy music from the 1950's, still convert prices to £ s d, and centimetres into feet and inches and I can covert the price of petrol from litres into gallons (which scares me to death as I can remember petrol being 32p a gallon, now its more like £5.50), and i can recall a pint of bitter being 28p.

Now I'm making myself feel old !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• fluffycat
    @woodbine

lol

I prefer feet, inch, pound, stone etc. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I go back and forth on imperial and metric. I have no idea how much I weigh in kilograms, but I'm keenly aware of how many stones I am. Yet if I was going to bake a cake I'd measure the ingredients in grams. I reckon I'm probably a product of 90s schooling in that respect.

We very recently (and reluctantly) got rid of our old games consoles such as the SNES and NES. We're all a big fan of Lego, although I never realised it was considered 'retro'!

My other half is a fan of 50s women's fashion, but I can't say I'm a fan of the men's from the same era.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • fluffycat
    edited March 2021
    @Adrian_Scope

i love ‘bomber jackets’ from 50’s / 60’s

they dropped off for quite a while and now more fashionable / different styles.

Shame, there were some great games on those two.

least your versatile with measurements 
  • woodbine
    I go back and forth on imperial and metric. I have no idea how much I weigh in kilograms, but I'm keenly aware of how many stones I am. Yet if I was going to bake a cake I'd measure the ingredients in grams. I reckon I'm probably a product of 90s schooling in that respect.

We very recently (and reluctantly) got rid of our old games consoles such as the SNES and NES. We're all a big fan of Lego, although I never realised it was considered 'retro'!

My other half is a fan of 50s women's fashion, but I can't say I'm a fan of the men's from the same era.
    I was weighed recently at the hospital 100kg 1kg = 2.2 lbs  100x2.2=220lbs divided by 14 = 15.7 stone which then = at least 2 stone over weight !!!!

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
         I still work in feet and inches, part of my job is working out measurements for wallpaper/ fabrics etc and for the life in me I cannot work in 10s it has to be in 12s. I suppose it's what you were brought up with 
  • fluffycat
    @woodbine
    Oh No !
    hopefully it comes off easier than on lol!!

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I like mechanical watches which were superseded by quartz in the 70s I believe so I guess that counts as retro.

Also love old cars especially big engined cars or American barges from the 60s-70s but really any old car I will like.

On the other end of the stick I got 3 A grades in maths and 1 A in statistics but I still don’t know how many pounds are in a stone or yards in a mile without looking as we simply didn’t do imperial at school so I have no idea!!

I’m sure many people would consider my politics to be “retro”, although, I don’t think they’d use a word that polite to describe them!
  • woodbine
    @66mustang I had a 1965 Triumph Herald in the late 70's after about 3 months i took a wide bend in a road and one of my back wheels overtook me, my first car when I was 17 was a MK1 Cortina cost me £40 and lasted me 2 months, I could go on but you get the idea. The first decent car I had was my first company car in 1984, after that I was provided with a new car, every two until I had to stop working in 1998.
    And whilst I often drove 40,000 miles a year I have never missed driving since my health forced me to stop.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine I admit I’ve never owned an old car - only driven ones belonging to other people or rented companies. I guess it’s best to keep it that way, let someone else deal with the problems ha ha.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    My first was a Vespa GL 150, trouble was the lambretta was the cool machine to have. My first car was a minivan, £90 and a great little vehicle, lasted me a couple of years and I sold it on afterwards. As far as triumphs are concerned I had a triumph spitfire which had a nasty habit of turning full circle on bends if you didn’t have a bag of cement in the boot! Happened to me once and gave me quite a fright! After that I had several cortinas and a Vauxhall Ventura which was a very luxurious car. I could go on but I won’t bore you. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I do like retro cars, German ones especially...  BMW 635 CSI...  Mk2 Golf GTi...  And then there's the Sueprcars of the day too, the Countach and the Ferari 308...

I like hard lines and angles, none or the round, bubbly design we get these days!  :D
  • fluffycat
    @OverlyAnxious

Yes they are so alike these days!

Capri, Dolomite, MG, E-Jag were my favs
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I used to work in a haberdashery. We used to measure everything in yards until everything got changed to metres. Even though I had to change from imperial to metric in the shop I have always preferred to work in good old fashioned feet and inches. As for cars classic cars are definitely best. A lot of new cars look the same, especially 4x4's. My dad used to have a Ford Kuga and it looked exactly the same as the Vauxhall Mokka that my aunt had. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    We have a vinyl player... though they're not retro these days, everyone has one :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • fluffycat
    @Ross_Scope

Would have thought most people would have been digital (no physical media) though there has been a mini-revival (pushing-up LP prices!)

Love experience, artwork and former memories of Vinyl. ((I.E. have purchased my first LP (and others) again for my 2nd wave!))

I have a suitcase turntable (for 78's) and a 33/45 semi-auto separate deck. (couldn't get a fully auto for love or money a while ago)
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    I have a fantastic reversible suede/leather jacket from the 70's. Huge collar and turn-up sleeves. Great for going retro!

Given to me by my Dad a LONG time ago - instantly regretted it and he desperately tried to get it back from me, despite the fact that he couldn't fit into it anymore. Much-loved and frequently worn in my teenage years!

Still wear it for going out in today. Thanks Dad ;)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Quinty
    Quinty Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Take me back! No mobiles, looking at screens, better communication back then. Loved buying a vinyl from a great record shop locally. David Bowie being my must have. As kids, we could play outside and knew we were safe. Great TV shows like **** Emery, Larry  Grayson Tenko, Spike Milligan  Two Ronnies And Carry On Films! They'd be banned now in our woke society  which is somewhat borring by comparrison. The telephones had a curly wire and placed on a wall or table. Parents would buy a lock for it....but we found a way of tapping the top  to make calls! A crossed line was common place.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi @Quinty.You talking of telephones has made me think about  a video I saw on Facebook a couple of years ago where a couple of teenagers were looking at an old dial up telephone and were trying to work out how to use it. They hadn't got a clue. It was hilarious!
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    I do all measurements in metric, but think in feet and inches. Kilo's are a mystery, it's LBs for me, and I'm 6ft tall not 1.830. I travel miles not kilometres and drink a pint of milk not CL, or ML, or litres and get along just fine.

Brightness