Hi, my name is Flyout! I've been sent a form to complete about funds I possess. What happens next? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Flyout! I've been sent a form to complete about funds I possess. What happens next?

Options
Flyout
Flyout Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited March 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I was on universal credit from 11dec 2018 till 4 September 2019 during this period I received inheritance which I didn’t declare as I thought it was exempt have had a phone call from universal credit compliance officer who sent me forms to fill in regarding the funds I possess, what happens next 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

They will investigate and if there has been an overpayment of UC you will be asked to pay this back 

It will depend when you got the inheritance and if it was above the allowed limit 

What was the reason you stopped claiming UC? 

• Flyout
    Options
    Had universal credit from 11 dec 2018 till sep 4 2019 started job on 5th September. I’m not disabled but struggle with figures 
  • janer1967
    Options
    When did you receive the inheritance? 
  • Flyout
    Options
    I think on the 20th dec2018
  • janer1967
    Options
    If it took you over the savings threshold then it 8s unlikely you will have been entitled to any of the UC you were paid as you only started your claim 9 days before 

Did you not know you were getting the money when you applied for uc ? 
  • Flyout
    Options
    Yes but because I’m not good at figures I thought it was exempt from other savings 
  • janer1967
    Options
    All you can do is see what happens I'm afraid 
  • Flyout
    Options
    I’ll speak to citizens advice tomorrow before I fill forms in for universal credit compliance officer. Thank you for your advice 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Flyout. You don't have to tell us how much it was you received but if it was for more than £16,000 the likely outcome is that you shouldn't have been able to claim Universal Credit and the money you received would be considered an overpayment. 
    If it was for over £6,000 but under £16,000 there would usually have been a small deduction made to your UC based upon your capital/savings. When you submit the form they'll calculate if any money is due and ask you to pay it back. 
    If your capital/savings were under £6,000 it shouldn't have any impact. 

There are occasions that capital/savings can be disregarded for a length of time but these are quite specific. If you'd like to talk this through our helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm, Saturday to Sunday 10am to 6pm. You can call them on 0808 800 3333 or email them on helpline@scope.org.uk
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    Options
    Hi @Flyout how did you get on with cab 

Hope the info above has helped as well 

Let us know if we can help anymore 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.