Waiting 3 years for assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Waiting 3 years for assessment

s_1992
s_1992 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi all, long one. My partner became ill 3 years ago. He put a claim for esa and pip. He receives high rate pip for daily and mobility. He was awarded esa and we never heard anything from them other than we have sent sick notes for 3 years (thought it was normal) I have recently discovered its not. I rang esa and they said they dont know what's happened. We have been on the Assesment stage for 3 years hes never had an assesment nor been placed in a group. He is still not fit for work. They sent a work capability form which they received back 3 weeks ago. Just wondered has anyone been in this situation? Also how long to get an assessment date after sending form. Thanks :)

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @s_1992, this is most odd and needn’t have happened had you followed up having been awarded PIP  and your post states your husband was awarded ESA but no award rate given or indication of a pending assessment. I had my first PIP assessment and was waiting for my ESA assessment. On applying for transportation to the assessment center I was informed that the assessment was not required as I was placed into the support group. I was awarded standard rate for mobility and daily living in PIP, I assume they had confirmation of my illness diagnosis and made the decision to place me in the support group. I think you could or should make a formal complaint and there could be if proven that the DWP have been at fault by their inaction in dealing with your claim and application for ESA compensation for benefits not paid that would have been if the application had been delt with in the proper and correct way.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    One of those areas where it can pay to involve your MP, you might be surprised that when an MP tells the DWP to jump there usual reply is "how high" ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• s_1992
    Hi @wilko thank you. We did not know how esa worked and presumed he had been awarded due to doctors evidence but I'm guessing they never even spoke to them. We also thought sending sick notes was just what you do. We have sent them every month for 3 years and they have never even noticed till I rang last month. They was very shocked and could not understand how this had happened. Just hoping it does not all take too long now. Sent the form back quickly and they received it 3 weeks ago this Thursday. @woodbine thank you. Will see how it goes. Someone did call personally to say they do not know what has happened and they apologised. So hopefully it will get sorted. 
  • s_1992
    edited March 2021
  • HJP290
    HJP290 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Hi this happened to me was over 18 months i hadnt a clue i had to swap over to universal credit as my contributions ran out and worked off better off on there had a assement from them and woke up with 3500 back pay off esa in my bank one day n back on esa before even got letter :) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.