Reliable Tradesmen? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reliable Tradesmen?

MarkM88
MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
Anyone any advice on finding reliable tradesmen that are properly registered? I need an electrician and plumber and not sure how best to go about it. 

When I say registered I mean officially registered as a company or self employed as I need to be able to get a receipt and invoice, as my housing association are going to refund me the costs. 

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    I take it your HA doesn't have it's own maintenance team or recommended anyone else?

Checkatrade.com is decent - just put in the trade you need and your post code and it shows fully checked tradesmen with a customer rating and reviews as well.
  • MarkM88
    @OverlyAnxious Yes they have there own teams but they said they cant guarantee they can fit me in as they still have staff shortages apparently, so they agreed that if I sort it they will refund. 

Thanks for the link, I will have a look at it. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    Ratedpeople is another similar one Mark, if as you say you need a receipt make sure they know before they do the work.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    @woodbine thanks I’ll check that one out too. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    If I need a local tradesman I google for local tradesmen or company.
     I get three quotes and ask all three if they have the right certification and tell them why I need to know.
    Very simple. No middlemen who talk about a free service but who charges the tradesmen for the lead and who in turn charges the customer, nothing’s free at all.

Self employed people have enough to put up with without having to pay yet another middleman in my opinion.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness