Hi, I'm Sophie_elisabeth92! I want to connect with people who have suspected/confirmed dyspraxia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Sophie_elisabeth92! I want to connect with people who have suspected/confirmed dyspraxia

Sophie_elisabeth92
Sophie_elisabeth92 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi,  my name is Sophie and i am 28 years old.  I have decided to join this group to reach out people with Dyspraxia or those seeking to finally get a diagnosis.  I would love to hear people's experiences, or even get some support or advice on how to get to the next step.  I completely feel lost with how or where to turn and could do with some friendly faces.    

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I don't know ir suffer from your condition just wanted to say hi 

There are other members here who will be able to share with you 
  • Sophie_elisabeth92
    Thank you for taking the time to say hi,  hope you are well?
    I hope so, thanks again 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sophie_elisabeth92 and welcome to our community.  

If you're comfortable sharing, I wondered - are you in the process of working towards a diagnosis of dyspraxia?  And, how far along the diagnosis pathway have you got?  Waiting to get confirmation of a diagnosis can be a difficult time and I really empathise with the uncertainty you must be feeling  :(

Some of our members do have dyspraxia too and you can find many of their posts in our Learning difficulties category.   While a great support organisation, if you haven't heard of them already, is the Dyspraxia Foundation and they have a helpline form which you can write to with any questions.  

It's great that you have joined our community and please ask us anything that might be playing on your mind.  Hope to speak soon and take care :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Sophie_elisabeth92
    Hi and thank you for your message.   I have currently not yet began my journey into a diagnosis...  So far i have looked it up and few out times been told by schools and colleges that dyspraxia sounds like something i may have.  I feel i do also. But i generally do not have a clue how to begin in getting closer to a diagnosis or even being heard.  
  • Cher_Alumni
    Hi @Sophie_elisabeth92

The Dyspraxia Foundation has this advice for adults who suspect they might have dyspraxia:
    If you suspect you have dyspraxia you should consult your GP, in the first instance, with a view to being referred to an educational or clinical psychologist, occupational therapist, speech therapist or counsellor. Write your symptoms down, take a friend or relation to support you and be persistent. You can refer yourself to a private therapist or doctor.
    So in the first instance you should contact your GP to go over your symptoms and ask them about the next steps.  There's lots of other useful advice on the above webpage so make sure to give it a read :) 

Do you think you'd feel comfortable speaking to your GP about it?

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Sophie_elisabeth92
    Thank you this is very helpful. 
    I definitely would want to give it my best shot.   I have mentioned bits to the doctors before,  due to being in contact with my doctors from the age of 15 about my mental health.  Ive not always felt supported by them.  So i will definitely try again and go with a list of why I feel i have dyspraxia. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    edited March 2021
    @Sophie_elisabeth92 That's great to hear and please keep us updated on how you get on.  I know previous negative experiences with GP's can sometimes make it daunting to visit, but try to be as open and honest as possible about what your concerns are and I'm sure they will help.  Good luck.

Also just to let you know, I've moved this thread into our 'Learning difficulties' category to help others spot it who might be experience a similar situation.  

• Sophie_elisabeth92
    I will,  i appreciate the advice and for you to reply to me.  I hope that in the future more people become more aware of dyspraxia. 
    Yes that is absolutely fine ? 
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Hi Sophie_elisabeth92 

Back in 1994 an international symposium changed the name from Dyspraxia to Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) which is the name used by international research regarding these issues.
    The leading UK researcher./ consultant is Prof. Amanda Kirby. 
    I have a PubMed Developmental Coordination Disorder (dyspraxia) research paper collection at 
    My PubMed "Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) - Dyspraxia"  research paper collection 
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/1v9jzpUc5t6/collections/11232220/public/ 

Although I do not have developmental coordination disorder myself, I admin a Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) group on Facebook which currently has over 600 members sharing their experiences. 

• AlexJohn
    AlexJohn Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    i think I have this and dyslexia i find it really hard to write that makes sense and sometimes i leave things out. i use forums a lot but i cant seem to get my point across without annoying  people with the way i spell and form words online .
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @AlexJohn :) 

The comment you've written here makes perfect sense to me, so don't worry. Have you ever looked at getting diagnosed with dyspraxia or dyslexia? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • AlexJohn
    edited April 2021
  • AlexJohn
    sorry had edited it ,i dont go to collage or work dont have money on pip andesa    unsure if my dr would or not
  • Awesomelorenzo
    Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
    edited April 2021
    Hi. I have dyspraxia. Got diagnosed at 20. I know of loads of people who got diagnosed at 20.
    Do you want to know my experiences?
    https://medium.com/@lorenzo.harper70
  • matthew2909
    matthew2909 Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    hi im matthew ive also got dyspraxia how are you 
  • innocent21
    innocent21 Posts: 35 Connected
    When I was in school in PE lessons the teachers noticed that I had problems with throwing and catching. Well I can't do that, but I also can't use a skipping rope, do soldering, do crimping to make wires, thread a needle, do sewing, do a cartweel, handstand, use a skipping rope, kick a football properly, use a segway, ride a bike, do the sleight of hand for card tricks,

My gross motor skills are bad but my fine motor skills are good. I have neat handwriting and I can play the piano at level 6 where an orchestra level is level 9.
  • steviegreeny
    steviegreeny Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi i have dyspraxia and can struggle with dealing with certain things like starting a friendship or a relationship 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @steviegreeny - I'd just like to welcome you to this friendly & supportive community. :)  You have replied to a post where the last message was from last June, so you may like to start your own post instead so others can see it more easily. You could do this by going to our 'Welcomes' section, then click on 'New post.' Please see: https://forum.scope.org.uk/categories/welcome

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @steviegreeny :) I'm sure you're not alone in feeling this way, so thank you for joining the community and commenting about some of the challenges you face as someone living with dyspraxia.

As chiarieds has mentioned, you're welcome to post an introduction in our 'start here and say hello' category so that other members can get to know you a little better. You may also be interested in visiting our dating, sex, and relationships category if this is something you'd like to talk about a bit more.

Do you think there's anything in particular that's holding you back in terms of entering into friendships and relationships?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • ot365
    ot365 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I'm an OT and advanced sensory integration practitioner, I work a lot with people with dyspraxia and complete assessments. This is a fantastic video 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=29NMWlhnVNs&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2Ibb4nqlUqKuJsGciXDkEC2TyrjQ3T4r5lsjG0ZgaJEVSYCpo1oK7dKvc

Brightness